Announcements

Having trouble seeing your Wrapped stories? To fix this, update the Spotify app to the latest version.

Find more info on our community FAQ.

Explicit content

Explicit content

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

Explicit content filter 

For: Mobile and tablet (more devices coming soon!)

Filter out content labelled as explicit with these steps:

1. Tap Home .
    Got Premium? Tap Your Library .
  2. Tap Settings .
  3. Tap Explicit Content.
  4. Switch Allow Explicit Content off (gray).
  5. Tracks marked as explicit now appear grayed out. It’s not possible to play them and they are skipped over by the player.

Things to note about this setting:

• It applies only for the individual account and device. For example, if you apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app.
  • It doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device.

Remember:
 Content we identify as explicit is based on information we receive from rights-holders, so we can’t guarantee that no explicit content will play with this setting. If you spot a song that needs an explicit tag, let us know by tapping  next to the song and select Report Explicit Content

For full information on this, and for more on finding clean versions we'd recommend check this Support article.

84 Replies

I've tried unsuccessfully to get rid of "**bleep**AFriendZone" which shows up on "Good Morning" every day for weeks now. Explicit content filter is turned on and I blocked the artists in question. As a Christian I find this content deeply offensive. 

Please help!! 

I have explicit content enabled to be played and I still can't hear it.

explicit content fail.png

Hey @pgonzalez_cl,

Thanks for posting in the Community!

Based on the screenshot you've attached, we can conclude that the issue you're having is a bit different. The grey out songs are not playable, as they are probably unavailable in your region, and not because they are containing explicit lyrics. You can see that on the same screenshot you have a playable song with explicit content a bit down the list (tracks 6 and 7). 

Please keep in mind that the availability of music on Spotify can vary over time and between countries, depending on agreements between Spotify and rights holders, such as artists or record labels.  That is why sometimes certain content isn't available right away. 

Tip: In case you don't want to see unplayable content, then you can enable the option 'Hide Unplayable Songs' in Settings>Playback.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Kiril Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Ever listened to "Payphone" by Maroon 5? I hate, and I mean HATE, the Wiz Khalifa part of the song, so therefore I just listen to the "clean" version, where that part is replaced.

Nice, this information is important.

geovanebentoSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts