Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Explicit song with no explicit tag

Solved!

Explicit song with no explicit tag

Currenly listening to Limp Bizkit and there are tracks which are not marked as explicit which are clearly explicit.

e.g.
My Generatoin (from Chocolate Starfish)

Hot Dog (from Chocolate Starfish)
Break Stuff (fom Greatest Hitz)

The whole of Chocolate Starfish is called Explicit version !!

Not quite sure how these have got through your content filtering (did the algorithm have a day off?). There should be an option to report these directly as this is quite a serious issue.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@StuartCoulson

Hey there!

These issues are easy to report please follow the information below.

If you've seen either

- a track, album, or artist in our catalogue with incorrect information (i.e. wrong release year, misspelling, etc.)

- different artists in the same Artist Page

- incorrect cover arts

- incorrect artists biography

or

- a track or album that isn't playing correctly (i.e. a song only playing one second of music)

Then you can report the error using the Contact Form. Once there, perform the following steps:

Step 1: Click on "I want to report a broken song or wrong song information".
Step 2: Click on the Green Button that reads "I STILL NEED HELP".
Step 3: Copy and Paste the track URI links to the songs into the field that reads "Song URI".
Step 4: Type up a description of the track issues in the "Tell us more" field.
Step 5: Click on the green button "SEND QUESTION".
Be sure to include all Spotify URI's in the body of the message!

After contacting Customer Support, you should receive an automated response from Spotify. The tracks will then be aggregated and reported to the content provider. Customer Support will update their database with the correct information as soon as the label or aggregator has sent Spotify an update with the correct data.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Hey @StuartCoulson, we hear you. This is something that other users have flagged as well in the Community, see here

On another note, there's a workaround which was provided by another listener; check it below!

Download Denied (https://www.getdenied.com/)

Turn on the "Disable Explicit Tracks" option in Denied

Open Spotify

If this response was helpful, please mark as 'solved' and give a kudos so others can access. Thanks!

I dont really want to have to use a third party website before I use Spotify. I appreciate that it might do the right job, but in this instance, what I want to do is report that there are songs in the library which are explicit but not tagged as such.

Marked as solution

@StuartCoulson

Hey there!

These issues are easy to report please follow the information below.

If you've seen either

- a track, album, or artist in our catalogue with incorrect information (i.e. wrong release year, misspelling, etc.)

- different artists in the same Artist Page

- incorrect cover arts

- incorrect artists biography

or

- a track or album that isn't playing correctly (i.e. a song only playing one second of music)

Then you can report the error using the Contact Form. Once there, perform the following steps:

Step 1: Click on "I want to report a broken song or wrong song information".
Step 2: Click on the Green Button that reads "I STILL NEED HELP".
Step 3: Copy and Paste the track URI links to the songs into the field that reads "Song URI".
Step 4: Type up a description of the track issues in the "Tell us more" field.
Step 5: Click on the green button "SEND QUESTION".
Be sure to include all Spotify URI's in the body of the message!

After contacting Customer Support, you should receive an automated response from Spotify. The tracks will then be aggregated and reported to the content provider. Customer Support will update their database with the correct information as soon as the label or aggregator has sent Spotify an update with the correct data.

It says solved, but the exact same problem with the exact same song remains. This problem was posted in 2017.  My kids were looking for the Mickey Mouse hot dog song and got a bunch of f-bombs from Limp Bizkit. It is NOT tagged as explicit, so the filter can not avoid playing it.  

Hey @Kcmom4 

The explicit tags as well as other metadata is provided by the content owners / distributors, meaning Spotify can't guarantee everything is marked accurately as such.

You can report tracks needing an Explicit tag on mobile and tablet by tapping on the three dots on that song and selecting "Report Explicit Content". 🙂

I also suggest checking out this article for more information on Explicit Content filter.

Hope this helps, have a nice day!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

If this is the reply from Spotify in terms of support, my comment was clearly not read.
I said that the issue was already reported 2 years ago and has still not been resolved.
Your reply is not related to that comment.
I just got an email asking me if I was satisfied with the reply to my inquiry. This is incredibly incomplete and

@Kcmom4 

I don't know why those songs are left unmarked.
I'd suggest reporting those songs again by following the instructions in this article.

It's possible something went wrong with those reports 2 years ago (eg later metadata updates by content owners left them unmarked).

Hope this helps, have a nice day 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Still not marked half way through 2020. There are so many songs with this same issue. What is going on with this? Is it even being looked into? There's not even an option to report songs for explicit content on desktop, and the report function on mobile seems to be broken.

What is being done to fix this?

Hey,

So I think you'll need to contact Spotify Support for your issue. There just seems to be a bug that we cannot control. Same thing happens with most of the songs I'm listening to, you can't really do anything about it at the moment.

3 years later and still these Limp Bizkit songs are not marked as explicit. Hot Dog specifically boasts about saying f*** 46 times in that song! 

Sorry to necro an old thread but the new URL for reporting untagged explicit content is the general contact us at https://support.spotify.com/uk/contact-spotify-anonymous/. You have to start an online chat with a bot but it's fairly painless. Whether anything ever gets done about it however is another matter....

Suggested posts