Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

GIANT Loss of Bollywood/Indian Music

GIANT Loss of Bollywood/Indian Music

Dear Spotify,

I have been listening to Spotify for a while now and recently made the switch to Premium Status! I am able to enjoy a greater range and quality of music now on the go. However, I started to download music that I liked and noticed that something was off when selecting my music. The Indian Collection has DRASTICALLY been cut. I have a playlist by the name of Gaana, and it feels as if half of the entire playlist is missing. Here are the albums that I have noticed:

1. Khiladi 786
  2. Baar Baar Dekho
  3. Yea Toh Two Much Ho Gayaa
  4. Tees Maar Khan
  5. Shaandar
  6. A Flying Jatt
  7. Rustom
  8. Toota Jo Khabi Taara
  9. Singh v/s Kaur
  10. Arijit Singh - The Epic Collection
  11. Udta Punjab
  12. Sultan
  13. Tanu Weds Manu
  14. 2 States
  15. ABCD 2
  16. Chennai Express
  17. Delhi 6
  18. Ek Villain
  19. Fitoor
  20. Fukrey
  21. Gunday
  22. Hate Story 3
  23. Ishqzaade
  24. Jab Tak Hai Jann
  25. Fan
  26. Jai Ho
  27. Khoobsurat
  28. Khuda Hai Tere Andar
  29. Lootera
  30. Mashups
  31. Mitti Di Kushboo
  32. Nautanki Sala
  33. Parineeta
  34. Phantom
  35. Piku
  36. PK
  37. Ragini MMS 2
  38. Swades
  39. Tetua
  40. Yaariyan
  41. Zindigi Na Milegi Dobara

Forty-one albums are missing, thats a lot of music that I have great passion for that I can not listen to whenever I would like. My belief in Spotify's commitment to Indian Music was a large part of why I have given into Premium instead of continuing as I had been for a few years now. Please remedy this soon or else you will have lost my money.

9 Replies

Hello @actionuflip

Sorry for the late reply.

The reason is that the artist or their music label has likely decided to remove it from Spotify.

The availability of music on Spotify is up to the artist and their music label.

Spotify wants all the world's music, and they're working hard on making this happen for you. However sometimes agreements can't be reached with the artist or label or a change may happen in music ownership. Sometimes the music is only available in certain countries, while access is blocked to others. Sometimes the album or song will be unavailable temporary, and come back again later.

The songs/albums will still be shown in your playlists so you can keep track of them. Make sure to go in settings and check for the setting that shows unavailable songs.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Spotify is failing to strike reasonable deals with these labels. Someone is being greedy here, either Spotify or the labels. Time to move to competitors where these labels are going if the price is same. 

I share the original posters sentiments. Most if not all of my musical tastes are in Hindi, Punjabi, Asian music as a whole. I like Spotify but won't be subscribing if it doesn't fulfil my music tastes.

Maybe the Indian music industry doesn't want their music on Spotify, maybe they only want it on Gaana or some other platform. Maybe it is Spotify being greedy - who knows. It's just a real shame that billions of people around the world can't appreciate all the music they like under one platform they like. 

I too feel the Bollywood music is vastly left out in Spotify. Apple music, in contrast, managed to keep a fair deal of content in this regard. I will wait for the day when Spotify will be enriched with a good number of labels.

https://open.spotify.com/user/Hindi_Gaana

You can find some awesome hindi music here!

Guys what streaming service

would you recommend for Bollywood music? Please help! I love Spotify GUI, but looks like I will have to move 😞

Either Saavn or Gaana.

You must wait for a while. 

Spotify is working on it. 

Suggested posts