Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

How do FEATURES get counted for an artist's monthly plays & listeners?

How do FEATURES get counted for an artist's monthly plays & listeners?

just recently i saw that my band's daily plays & listeners got higher than my solo artist plays/listeners.

even though being named in all of the band's songs as a featuring artist their quickly increasing monthly listeners have apparantly not added up to mine, or at least just a very bit.

all of their songs are also on my solo album.

so i am wondering how do features get counted??

is there maybe just a longer time lag between the actual plays and the counts?

would like to know better how the spotify algorithm works here.

me

spotify:artist:4n8tfUiKM8AfiVpHhEzKd7

the band

spotify:artist:4AvJhfqH7z6TPSk424OpFJ

thanks & cheers

6 Replies

I know this is old but yeah I have the same question and can't find any answers anywhere as to how spotify features/featurings work..

Hello sir, did you ever get a reply to your question you posted about your band stream counts being counted more then the songs being released under your name?

As I had a very similar question for my band's old collection of songs & my next solo album under a new name.

Specifically if you knew whether if a song is credited to 2 artists, then are the play counts split or are they properly counted equal for each artist? As my old bandmate wants to release a new set of our songs using the old name featured under the new name (ie "My song" - New Name feat. Old Name) and I wanted to see if you thought that was a good idea.

Much appreciation for any time and insight/advice in this! And PS your songs are very catchy too. You got a new fan!

Hey everyone,

Just popping in to confirm it'd be very helpful for you to reach out to the Spotify for Artists folks with your questions such as the ones you posted here 🙂

You can get in touch with them here by clicking on the CONTACT US button (bottom right corner).

Hope you'll find this helpful. We'll keep an eye on your replies if we can help any further!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
Moved:

This post was removed for violating the Community Terms and Conditions, specifically "Avoid double posting". Any users posting the same content multiple times will have their posts removed. For more information please read here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Music-Chat/Reminder-Spotify-Community-Guidelines/td-p/4786834

Thanks Mario for the reply. One more question: Would you know whether if a song if credited to 2 artists, then are the play counts split 50/50 between the 2 artists’ stats (i.e. if a particular song is played twice, then will each artist just get 1 stream count each)

Or are the counts properly added equal to both artists stats? (ie in my situation, would the stream counts of a  "Davis IL feat Growwler" song be added to both Artist Profiles equally for each stream)

I tried looking up info on this online & didn’t find much. Other then this Spotify Community blog post which seemed to mirror my exact predicament (solo name feat. band name).

Also a side question in regards to same blog post thread, if you look at the band in this example, on Spotify the band (seoulnmates) gets “Appears On” credit listing on their Profile. As opposed to the solo artist’s Profile (Max Koffler), which has the actual album release properly listed. Is there a method to properly do that?

Hey @dlukrich,

Whether or not the plays of one song will be factored in the stream-counts of all the involved artists/contributors depends on the credits and distribution arrangements related to the song itself.

Such arrangements should be made on the label or the distributor's end before the song is released on Spotify.

As a heads-up, the credits for a song featured on Spotify can always be added by updating the song metadata.

To know more about what type of songs metadata Spotify deals with and how such processes work, it'd be great to check this Spotify for Artists answer.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know if we can help with anything else 🙂  

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts