Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

How to indicate towards Spotify Support team about greyed out songs and get them back again?

How to indicate towards Spotify Support team about greyed out songs and get them back again?

Plan

Premium

Country

Belgium

Device

All

Operating System

All

My Question or Issue

Hello,

My question is about the well known topic of 'greyed out' songs. I as many find often in my playlist suddenly greyed out songs. The standard not meaningful answer is that this is due to rights etc.  And that of course is and can be true.

However sometimes I doubt that and some songs I believe are 'greyed out' maybe by mistake or due to what Spotify believes is a duplicate song or Album. I can even understand that spotify only want the have the same song once in their collection regardless on which album of the artists this is.

Let me give you a concrete example. I am a great fan on the Dutch album "Signalen"  by Herman van Veen.  That album was available in Spotify and I added my super favorite songs to my Nederpop (Dutchpop) playlist.  Suddenly that specific album is gone. However the German version,with German songs,  "Signale" is still there.
Spotify as a company , not natively being Dutch or German, might find this the same album. But it is not.  Most other albums and songs of Herman van Veen are available on Spotify. So I wonder if this is a simple mistake by Spotify. 

I find no way to contact Spotify and ask about a clarification if this i.e. is a mistake?

It would be good idea that there is a way to flag greyed-out songs and get a confirmation why the song or album is gone.  If it would be even rights at the end it would maybe trigger Spotify to work with author/songwriter/record company to get specific songs or albums available again.

Note:

Beside this community, Spotify Support remains in general a hidden departement no way to contact them directly. Not really great, not having a customer focus sense.

Brgds, Bas.

3 Replies

Hi there @inetbas,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're happy to help.

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

On another note, we want all the world’s music on Spotify, but availability can vary over time and between countries, depending on the permissions from rights holders.

If you ever feel like getting in contact with our customer support you can do it here.

We hope this information was helpful.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care  🙂

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hello Jeremy,

Thank you for getting back to me.  I was out the last 2 weeks and very busy.  I can reinstall the App on my iPad. But the issue is also on the App my Windows laptop and android phone. They show the same issue. So I believe the issue is at the Spotify back-end. 

As shown the Dutch Album 'Signalen' from Herman van veen is missing, but the German Album "Signale'  is there.  

Another example is with the group 'Silbermond'  their Album 'Himmel auf' I liked a few songs from that album and they were in my Liked songlist.  Suddenly greyed out.
Now what I discovered is that the live-concert version of the Album is available since last year and again I believe Spotify deletes what Spotify sees as duplicate albums/songs.  Which they are NOT.
https://open.spotify.com/album/1UfMGmuIK4rHPGweqycNpF?si=aXzb3D1xQViiirN_MCmyOQ

I am really not amused with this constant greying out of songs that I really like. It nerves me that much that I maybe should go back to actually buying songs, because then you really have them.   I went to a streaming service indeed the discover new music etc. The yearly cost compensated for the monthly buy of the equivalent of 2 CD's.  But the streaming service in this sense isn't reliable, specific as you don't own the album or song at the end. 

BTW: I went for Spotify instead of Apple, Google or now even Amazon. Believing with the focus of Spotify purely on stream music/multimedia Spotify would do a better job.  Till now Spotify doesn't show that clearly to me or separate itself clearly from the streaming big-techs. 

Many thanks again for your response. I know you are a moderator and not Spotify Support in that sense. 

Brgds, Bas.

2021-04-27 16_52_27-Spotify Premium-Herman_van-Veen-Signalen-missing.png
2021-04-27 16_59_08-Spotify Premium-greyed-out-songs-example.png

Hey @inetbas

Thanks for your reply. 

As @Jeremy mentioned, keep in mind that content availability can vary over time and between countries depending on the permissions from rights holders.

However, we add new content to Spotify every day, so if you can’t find something you’re looking for right now, it may appear (or reappear) soon.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us, and will make sure to pass it on to the right folks. 

If anything else comes up, we're always a message away. 

Cheers.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts