Announcements
Current information of our Google Nest Mini Offer can be found here.

I can only see audiobooks in German. How may I change the default language?

Highlighted

Re: I can only see audiobooks in German. How may I change the default language?

Visitor

They are American and can’t imagine people speaking differrent languages living in the same country 🙈

Highlighted

Visitor

I think you see mostly German audiobooks because there are a lot of German audiobooks on Spotify and comparatively few English ones.

These two quotes show the special situation of German audiobooks on Spotify:

> Usage of [Spotify] was skyrocketing in Germany. "I couldn't figure out why, and no one seemed to have an idea," recalls the soft-spoken Swede. So he boarded a plane to Berlin, where he huddled with his team and soon discovered that the German music labels own the rights to most audiobooks in the country and had been uploading them onto Spotify. "By accident, we ended up becoming one of the largest audio platforms, period, and one of the largest audiobook platforms in Germany," he says. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/spotify-aims-become-worlds-no-1-audio-platform-1256162

> In Germany, some of the more progressive publishers have been making their catalogues available on music streaming platforms for some time. https://www.thebookseller.com/futurebook/spotify-books-spotify-762571#

If you try to find information on the web about English audiobooks on Spotify, you will find articles such as https://profounder.com/audiobooks-on-spotify. You will notice that it talks about quite old books that are available (whose copyright has expired):

> For example, you can basically listen to all of William Shakespeare’s plays, including tragedies such as Hamlet and Julius Caesar or historical dramas such as Henry V and Richard III. You can also listen to the classic F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and tenebrous works like The Shadow of Innsmouth by H.P. Lovecraft.

Still, there are around 1600 English audiobooks on Spotify collected here: https://profounder.com/spotify/ It seems that I can access most of them, though not all (I live in Hungary and have a Hungarian bank).

Highlighted

Casual Listener
You're a legend ! Thanks a lot for the insight !
Highlighted

Visitor
That's not a solution.
As paid customers, we should have the freedom to choose which language we consume your product. Even in family plans, for that matter. My wife is German, I'm Brazilian and we communicate in English, for example, and there are more people in a similar situation than one might think.
But most importantly, language is often not a simple matter of choice for people, in contrast to a company that is present worldwide.
If the problem are regional distributing licences (which is ridiculous in the globalised economy we live in the 21st century), open at least content in English, as a first step, or allow users to consume your product entirely based on their devices' regional settings.
To do nothing about content's language is a big middle-finger for your Premium customers.
Highlighted

Solution for finding audiobooks in specific language: Spooks

Casual Listener

I have found a slution to this issue that is satisfying my need for English book in Austria. 

There is a separate application called Spooks that is searching for books on spotify and allows me to set the language.  Only German or English is possible in Austria,  unfortunately. 

Highlighted

Casual Listener
That's not working for me, but it's good to know that it's possible.

For a different approach, try Spooks application. It's worlds better for finding books than Spotify and links to Spotify for the content.
Highlighted

Visitor

Thanks I'll look in to that lol.

I'm raising my kiddo bilingual like i was (my dad is from us mom is german so)

Since I'm a single mom i like to have his tv or aufio books in English as he hears German every where else lol and no one can tell ne there is no english paw patrol man haha

SUGGESTED POSTS