Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

IP location, account region which decides the Spotify mix playlist songs version of region

Solved!

IP location, account region which decides the Spotify mix playlist songs version of region

Plan

Premium (Family)

Region(account): Japan

Device

iPhone, mac, Windows(this problem will not appear at web player)

Operating System

iOS 15, mac OS 11.5, Windows 11

My Question or Issue

Which one decides the Spotify mix playlist songs version of region, account region setting, the IP location, or both?

My account region is Japan, and now I am staying abroad. My mix playlists can work. But there is an issue that makes me annoying.
Some songs have different versions for regions. And the versions of a lot of songs shown on my mix playlist are only released outside Japan (But release in the place I stay now). If I search the names of the songs straightly at the search box, I only can find the songs' versions released in Japan.

And the most strange is that only the software will have this problem. If I check my mix playlist on the web player, it has the same song sequence as the mix list at application, but the songs' versions are all Japan but not the versions I saw on software.

capture.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @NatsumiKaren,

Thanks for the reply.

The auto-generated playlists cannot be influenced and will pick based on what the app detects as a main release for your region. When it comes to playlists made by you, a workaround is to search for the Japanese title. That way the Japanese release will show up and you can add it to your playlists.

Hope this info was useful. The Community is always here if there's anything else we can help with.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Hey @NatsumiKaren,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community!

We're not really sure what's going on at your end, so would you mind us asking for some more clarification info. Could you send us some screenshots, or a short video of the situation and to confirm where do you experience this issue (please include devices specs and also your exact Spotify version). Also if you can send us direct links to playlists where this situation is apparent, this would be very helpful as well. In the meantime you can also get more info about Country or region settings here.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Ok, let me say more clearly.

At the first, I checked my mix playlist. And I found something weird. My region is Japan[but now I am staying abroad] and the software display language is Japanese, but some songs and their albums(not all) in my mix playlists used English names but not the original Japanese name. (Their original names are Japanese. I am so sure about that. )

Please allow me to use ENS to express this kind of song and album that display English names but their original names are Japanese

If I search the ENS's English name in my software search box, the result will only give their Japanese name version. And at the pages of singers of the ENS songs, I cannot find the ENS song either, just can find the songs' Japanese names versions. I found the ENS will only appear on the mix playlist.

Then I used https://kaaes.github.io/albums-availability/ this website to check the ENS. It shows the ENS has a different release area with the Japanese-names versions. The ENS was released outside Japan(more specifically some East Asia and Southeast Asia regions, including where I live now).

Let me give a sample.

水瀬いのり まっすぐ、トウメイに。(English name: Honest and Transparent)

If I search at the software search box or check at the artist page, I only could find this version that used the Japanese name.

Link: https://open.spotify.com/album/3exUujdwkADrTrWJutGM9T?si=XmoiF3JDSdqxVaF6DAj2-w

But at my mix playlists, they will use the version that used the English name.

Link:https://open.spotify.com/album/3SGXqPPkaPKS9Ev5ImuxcZ?si=tPKFZhAeSxiEgAkqAt_otw

The two songs have the same content, only the names use different language.

And then is the weirdest thing, the ENS songs although use English names at my mix playlist. But this situation only happens at the software. (include iOS Windows and mac) At the web player, even at the same mix playlist (have the same title and same songs sequence as the playlist at my software), they will all use a Japanese name but not English! Please check the screenshot attachment.

one of my mix playlists share from software's link:https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1EIULZRr1wKMeB?si=2aef9f891aa44e71

The same mix playlist share from the web player's link:https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1EIULZRr1wKMeB?si=1064cc3b4d8e4971

(Add more detail:

I can add like to both two versions(English name title and Japanese names) of songs, and it will show separately on my like song playlist. But so weird, if I undo-like to just one of the two songs, another song's like will be canceled too)

So I consider may be the different versions using it's because now I am staying outside Japan. So the mix playlist chooses the version that was released in my living region now.

My device:

iPhone 8 iOS 15.1 (Spotify version 8.6.84.1353)

MacBook 12inch(2017) system: Big Sur 11.4 (Spotify version:macOS (Intel) 用のSpotify

1.1.74.631.g0b24d9ad)

Windows 10  20H2 (Spotify version:Windows用のSpotify
1.1.74.631.g0b24d9ad)

my browser: Google Chrome 96.0.4664.110 

I have tried to reinstall the software, and this situation continues. If you need any more information, let me know and Happy New year.

Screenshot.jpg

Hi there @NatsumiKaren,

Thank you for your explanation.

The app is set up to prioritize the "main" one. As it's a Japanese artist, the main release is most likely the Japanese one, so the app displays it as such. Searching for the Romanized title should still bring up the same track though. Basically, the app auto switches the release to whatever is marked as the "main" one.

The web player isn't programmed to do that so you can use the web-player to find and add the EN versions to a playlist. The app should remember that and not switch to the original release.

We hope that this information was helpful.

Let us know how it goes.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

So appreciate your replying, wish you have a great new year.

Can I ask a question that is what should I do to make my mix playlist use the main Japanese named release but not the romanized name release now? I have made sure not any romanized title songs in the playlist created by myself and tried to avoid listening to these songs.

Marked as solution

Hey @NatsumiKaren,

Thanks for the reply.

The auto-generated playlists cannot be influenced and will pick based on what the app detects as a main release for your region. When it comes to playlists made by you, a workaround is to search for the Japanese title. That way the Japanese release will show up and you can add it to your playlists.

Hope this info was useful. The Community is always here if there's anything else we can help with.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Okay. I get it, sincerely thanks to all the community members helped me.

Hi @NatsumiKaren

You're welcome! If you have any questions or need a hand with anything else, just let us know. 

Have a great day 🙂

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts