Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Joan Jett - I Love Rock N' Roll

Joan Jett - I Love Rock N' Roll

Another album missing from Spotify. You should have the motto: Spotify, the place where you can't find any music!

10 Replies

Hey @artful_dodger59

Spotify tries really hard to get music available on their service, but in the end the availability of music on Spotify is up to the artist and their music label.

This thread by Spotify staff explains why some music is not available:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Content-Questions/I-want-an-artist-song-on-Spotify/td-p/1136005

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

The absence of this album and the subequent one, "Album," is one of the great mysteries of the universe.  The later album, "Up Your Alley," is available.  It's useless to ask why specific albums and songs are not available.  Some Spotify Community "Rock Star" or other will always come and give you the same inane form text or some link to the same inane explanation.  After a while, it starts insulting the intelligence of people who already know.  What they will NEVER do is give you SPECIFIC information about why certain albums and songs are not available, even though Daniel Ek and every Spotify employee almost certainly knows EXACTLY why specific things are not available.  For some reason, it's against policy for anyone to give specific information, so this forum is littered with the inane form text or links thereto.  The only exception is when the absence generates big media attention, like when Prince pulled his catalog in 2015, and of course Tay-Tay.  Both are back now.  I've never been able to find out why these Joan Jett albums are not available.  The inane Spotify Community form text will tell you to contact the record label, but everyone knows that's a moronic suggestion.  Even if you can find a way to send a message to a label (which in the case of the big ones is almost always impossible) you'll never get a reply.  Better for Spotify just to tell us the details, but they never will.  So just get used to the form text and roll your eyes every time you see it...

Your right. You cant find any good Joan Jett songs on spotify.

•  It used to be there, according to their stuff from 2013 anyway. I wonder why they took it off?

Just this week Joan Jett was finally added back to Spotify.

Yep. Just listening to one of her playlists now.

In response to the original poster, there is 101 reasons as to why some albums are available and others aren't.  A mix of publishing rights/artists constent etc, who owns the masters etc.  Some albums are easier to get consent more than others.

I'm not sure if it helps negotiations if Spotify say Album X isn't available because the bass player who co-wrote half the album won't sign off streaming rights.  Hence negotiations are done behind the scenes.

Def Leppard were very open as to why they withheld their albums, Bob Seger has some of his albums available but not all. Its annoying to have gaps but if artists don't want their music available there are limits to what Spotify can do.

I also noticed Player doesn't have some of their albums just like as you mentioned, Bob Seger. I'll try to search for some others, but I really wanted to hear some of Player's stuff last night, and realized it wasn't on Spotify. Also one thing that surprised me is that: Bryan Adams' Reckless isn't on YouTube and it's hard to find on CD. Now I'm not sure if that's the same thing that's going on with Fleetwood Mac's Mirage whereas they're making Deluxe and Anniversary editions, but they stop making single CD versions of the album. But Mirage is on YouTube, Reckless is really only found on Spotify which is weird. It's also both 30th Anniversary and 2014 Remaster (Original Album Track Listing). Just seems weird with some of these but, it is what it is I guess. I just purchased Reckless (single CD) off Barnes & Noble, it will hopefully come by tomorrow, I'll see if it's any good.

It's great you now have Joan Jett, but add one artist and take away another. I know for a fact Edison Lighthouse was on Spotify, and now gone. Also, please stop putting these horrible re-recorded versions of songs on here. They excuse my French, SUCK! 

Yea, Michael Sambello's Maniac is some garbage re-recording. It's like most of the Flashdance stuff on Spotify.

There is a re-recording that comes up first on most searches, but the real
version is there, sources from the soundtrack itself and some compilations.

Any recording of Irene Cara's monster hit title track currently on Spotify, however, is fake.  The real version was available on her What a Feelin' album, which was greyed out in full last year and has not come back.

Suggested posts