Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Limit to 'offline' playlists?

Solved!

Limit to 'offline' playlists?

I just spotted something in your FAQ about a limit of 3,333 tracks offlined? Is this true, and if so can you explain why? I realise as you need to re-sync updated tracks for all sorts of reasons, if someone has thousands of tracks offline then they could be re-syncing forever - but I have sort of got into the habit of offlining ever since the problems we had with BT throttling Spotify! It's great having a streaming service for music discovery, but here in the UK our broadband infrastructure is so flaky we can't rely on being able to use your service all the time if we don't offline. I tend to offline anything I 'collect', am I not using Spotify as you expect I should I wonder?

138 Replies

This is hardly a "solution".  A solution would be to let us have a single playlist of 10k songs on one device.

I really dont see why the split between devices has to be so solid. I only have one device, so I miss out on 6666 offline songs that those with multiple devices would be allowed... 10,000 over a maximum of 3 devices is totally acceptable as a limitation but thats as specific as it should get, even if it means 9998 on one device and then 1 each on the other 2 devices.

Just seems silly really, not that I can say I know much about it all but still. Am I being ridiculous?

@Heroface wrote:

I really dont see why the split between devices has to be so solid. I only have one device, so I miss out on 6666 offline songs that those with multiple devices would be allowed... 10,000 over a maximum of 3 devices is totally acceptable as a limitation but thats as specific as it should get, even if it means 9998 on one device and then 1 each on the other 2 devices.

Just seems silly really, not that I can say I know much about it all but still. Am I being ridiculous?

No your not - but music industry licensing is ridiculous sadly. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I Don't see why "Paying" customers should have limitations on how many songs download on there playlist you still get the 11.99 a month i think its a rip off and this is coming from someone who PAYS every month just to use spotify offline

I've just read thrug this thread and I don't read ONE single answer to why there is a limit of 3333 to each device. Of course I want all my songs synced to one device, everything else is just silly.

So let me ask again. Why is there a limit of 3333 songs on one device?

I've been a premium user from the start of spotify.

/M

Its governed by the licensing agreements Spotify have with the record labels for content. 

You can have 3,333 offline tracks on up to 3 deivces (which is ~10,000 offline tracks). 

Peter

IMHO, Spotify has an opportunity to have a higher pricing tier. There seems to be a segment of current subscribers who want absolutely no restriction (myself included).  I've paid the premium since the first offering, and I'm a little dissapointed on this 3,333 limit per device. 

If licensing terms are causing the cap, additional subscription revenue (for additional licensing fees) should be a solution worth considering, yea? I'd pony up a couple extra bucks a month. 

I upgraded to the 32g iPhone for maximum Spotify storage.  Shame on me for not doing the due diligence.... 

Spotify - make some moves, let's get this sorted out. 

Mark
----
NYC Based, Spotifier

I just hope itunes streaming service which is behind corner will bring some sort of competition to market. Rdio had no track limit but sadly before moving to them they were bought. 3333 per device is not a 10000. As a premium user i dont like when company I pay simply lie to me. 3 devices = mobile phone, laptop and gaming desktop. So please just tell me how i can listen music from offline playlist on my desktop (or even laptop)  while mountainbiking. Because i pay premium only for offline services. Even when spotify sucks alot and take lots of data (sometimes 800 mb per day) even when 3g download is disabled.

I odn't know, but I will stop being a premium user if this limit doesn't go up and maybe go away.I travel often, and get tired of the same few songs I have saved up.  I pay monthly money to have a lmited amount of songs on my playlists?  Considering all things, I prefer to leave and go buy vinyl records. 

@timiambeing wrote:

I just spotted something in your FAQ about a limit of 3,333 tracks offlined? Is this true, and if so can you explain why? I realise as you need to re-sync updated tracks for all sorts of reasons, if someone has thousands of tracks offline then they could be re-syncing forever - but I have sort of got into the habit of offlining ever since the problems we had with BT throttling Spotify! It's great having a streaming service for music discovery, but here in the UK our broadband infrastructure is so flaky we can't rely on being able to use your service all the time if we don't offline. I tend to offline anything I 'collect', am I not using Spotify as you expect I should I wonder?

Over the last 3 years I have been adding songs to my offline playlist that I use in my car with my iPhone. But since I now have reached the 3333 limit of offline songs I basicly can't listen to the new songs I am adding to that playlist anymore. Obviously I don't want to start deleting  tracks on the playlist that I have been spending over 3 years developing. So please increase the offline limit of songs!!! It's NO REASON not to!

This is something that has come up a number of times in community feedback, but sadly the response from Spotify has always been they can't because that limit is included in the licensing.

Peter

But than the answere is easy. Spotify needs to get a better licence to fix this. I can't find any reason why that should be a big problem.

Yeah, google play music all acces is now in Poland. With 20000 offline songs limit (compared do 3333 from spotify (10000 limit is simply company lie)). Just checking it and planning to switch. Hope it has less bugs, less crap crashing desktop app and so on. Hope for better quality sound without some strange clicks/clacks, constant cleearing cache and installing and uninstallling to get things right. Dunno why but its 1/4 cheaper.

same!

Curious what kind of licensing restrictions Spotify is citing for not raising this limit. Google Music All Access allows 20k songs to be downloaded to a single device. If they can do it, why can't Spotify?

I would imagine they *could* but think of the number of agreements that would need to be changed if they cite that max number.

Peter

In my mind, Spotify is basically just a front end interface to a bunch of licensing deals. They ARE their licensing deals. If they can't evolve those deals over time to stay competitive (and bearing in mind that publishers already granted Google these terms) then they are doomed to fail.

This is pretty crap. I'm paying specifically to have this offline, there's no good reason to have a limit, since I can stream as many songs as I like.

Most people probably just have one offline device, their phone. This is very annoying!

Your competitor Rdio, has no limit:

http://help.rdio.com/customer/portal/questions/735992-limits-on-songs-synced-to-mobile-device-for-of...

This 3333 limit totally blew up in my face today. Like others here, I have been working on playlists, building them up over several years, and basically this limit means no matter how many new tracks I add, I won't be able to listen to them offline.

This seriously sucks. I am serious. It sucks so bad that I am strongly, very strongly considering other streaming services. Why? Because they pretty much offer the same thing, but with less limitations.

Like someone else here said; If Spotify is not willing re-visit old contracts an agreements, and work on them, so they are competitive with other streaming services, such as for example Google music, then why should I still stay with Spotify?

The one company that will be getting my monthly money, will be the one who doesn't **bleep** me over. And now I'm starting to feel **bleep**ed over by Spotify.

I think I will be looking at alternatives.
Having also been hit by a stupid 3333 limit which is only maybe 300 or 400 cds I was looking at which albums to delete and have to admit it was not easy.
Time to move on I think.

Suggested posts