Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Linking songs with different artist name

Linking songs with different artist name

Hello, 

My band is about to release a new song on Spotify using DistroKid. Our previous distributor uploaded our first single and stylized our artist name incorrectly, "Bute" instead of "BUTE".

I'm about to make a new artist profile using the correct stylization for our new song and would transfer the old song over to our new profile. I know it's possible to re-upload a song using the same ISRC code and link the songs to preserve metadata, but will this work with the different artist name?

6 Replies

Hey @jongreen1,

Thanks for reaching out.

What you're talking about is called Tracklinking. 🙂 Unfortunately, Tracklinking is never 100% guaranteed.

When attempting to tracklink two versions of a recording, the metadata should be as identical as possible (i.e. duration, title, version, artist, ISRC), and the audio used should be the exact same.

Chances of tracklinking are decreased with each differing piece of metadata between the two recordings. New audio fingerprints create new Spotify recording groups, which have a unique play count. This is calculated for each different recording of a composition.

Hope this helps!

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks but I just want to know if it's at all possible to tracklink if the audio, song name, ISRC are all exactly identical, but the title of the band is capitalized. I know it's not guaranteed but could it even possibly work?

Yes. 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Can you please elaborate on HOW to do this?
ie, how to link an album under a different name to another artist profile that is in fact the same person (with another name)?
thanks!

Hey @LouiseAlexandra,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

To have an album which you released under a different artist name moved and linked to your current name, it'd be great for you to make sure your label or distributor get in touch with Spotify and provide the album's and related songs' metadata (e.g. duration, title, version, ISRC) to look into whether the change can be made.

Hope you'll find this useful. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Have a nice day!

Mario Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm also trying to re-upload same songs with a new artist name, Loren Wheeler instead of Loren. Distrokid keeps telling me it can't be done and i've tried using ISRC codes same for both. Can spotify delete the record of the Loren releases so that my re-uploads show up as new uploads?

Thank you

Suggested posts