Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

New The 1975 album

New The 1975 album

I just want to state that Spotify really needs to figure this stuff out.  I was excited this morning to get into the office and fire up the new The 1975 album and lo and behold it's held off until the 11th of March.  Pay the artists or work out a system where people like myself who pay for premium can get the music they want on the release date.  We all know that Spotify makes 90% of its income off of premium subscribers which means that either their ad department sucks or they need to increase their artist payout.  Probably both.

7 Replies

Hello @jwinters14 and welcome to the community,

The availabity of music (albums, singles, Eps) on Spotify is up to the artists (or representatives) and/or labels.

Spotify wants all the music in the world to stream and works hard daily to convice artists or labels to get all their music in streaming as soon as it's released.

When an album is not available, it's not a Spotify decision.

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

It is a Spotify decision.  The reason that bands are starting hold back their albums is because they feel they are paid fairly for their music.  Spotify sets the reimbursement rates and therefore, is responsible for music that does not appear for streaming. 

I pay for this service because it is a good way to save a little money and hear all of the music that I want.  But If I have to go buy albums on their release date because I want to listen to them now instead of in 2 weeks or 2 months or 2 years, then what am I really paying for? 

@jwinters14

It's not a Spotify decision and it never will be to not have an album to stream.

If you want a good example look at Kanye West who made his album available only on Tidal and because of that will miss the #1 seller of the week.

For your information, the volume of streaming of an album is now also included in count for best-selling.

SoundofusSpotify Star

sorry, not a Spotify issue. you may feel it indirectly is a Spotify issue, but when it comes down to it, The 1975 gets final say on where they put their music. But I'm right there with you- been waiting on this album forever, Love Me and Somebody Else are so good, I just want the rest of the songs!!!!

If I helped you, likes please!
If I answered you, Accept as Solution!!
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Check out my backstage interview

I'm just not sure why you guys think bands are keeping their albums off of Spotify.  Are they doing it for fun?  Or is it to increase album sales because they stand to make more money than what Spotify is willing to pay them?  And if it's the latter, isn't that a Spotify issue?  I just don't see how you could be missing that point.

@jwinters14 

At the top of their artist page it says the album is coming on March 11th. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

We look forward to making The 1975's new album available on March 11th. Stay tuned!

Suggested posts