Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Numbers used in calculating artists 'most listened to' areas/regions

Numbers used in calculating artists 'most listened to' areas/regions

What numerical data and calcluations are used to determine an artist's most listened to region?

Do you take into account other factors (and if so which factors and how?) than simply the total number of listeners of an artist in 1 region versus another region?

Specifically do your calculations account for the population differences (both total population numbers and density) within different cities/regions?

I see Manhattan constantly listed as the most listened to region for several artists' daily. Manhattan/NYC has the highest population and population density of any US city**. There's a much higher probability a listener will be in the NYC region if using the previously mentioned calculation compared to any other US city/region (total number of listeners per region / total number of listeners in all regions.)

All of this results in a higher chance that an artist's most listened to region is NYC - which is extremely misleading for an artist, fan or anyone reading the data on Spotify's artist 'About' section.

This data in general is important for both (and many others I'm sure)
(1) artists who's music is on Spotify (to use for analysis of where/who to target when marketing their future projects, tours, etc. to increase their revenue)
(2) artists who aren't on Spotify (maybe a younger, emerging artist researching what to work towards regarding markets, target audiences, etc. looking at bands with similar sounds to their own to try and understand the demographic and any other analysis of market trends with specific genres/music trends or possibly artists they aspire to be more like in some way)

Summing up my question - how is an artist's 'most listened to' areas/regions calculated from Spotify's data? and how do you account for population differences in numbers, density, etc? what about cities/regions where Spotify fails to be the leading streaming platform and currently has failed to drive conversion to either new, casual/free listeners or subscribers versus areas with existingly large and growing subscriber rates loyal to Spotify?

**I believe this is true - but please do correct me if I'm wrong 🙂

0 Replies

Suggested posts