Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Problems with SUB-GENRES

Problems with SUB-GENRES

My Question or Issue

Hey!

Context: I'm in modern thrash band called Shrapnel. We sound a bit like Evile, Harlott, and Warbringer etc etc

I've been doing a bit of exploring of Spotify analysis sites like everynoise/Choisic/organizeyourmusic, and have noticed that our music does not seem to be associated with the sub-genres it should be.

For some reason, we only appear on such sites as exclusively 'melodic thrash', rather than 'new wave of thrash metal' and associated sub-genres we would define ourselves as.

Would anyone have any insight on how music is genre-labelled on Spotify? Is it likely a case of our music being uploaded with incorrect labelling, or something algorithmic where we are not being associated with bands we would consider peers? 

We have very similar stream/listener numbers to these bands, and are definitely in the same genre, so it seems strange. I think we could be losing out on reaching lots of people who might like our stuff.

Thank you for any help or advice!

Us: Shrapnel Spotify Profile 

Cheers!

1 Reply

Hi @hammersmashedna,

Thank you for posting to the Community!

At the moment music genres are labeled according to the album/track's metadata. In a broad sense, metadata is all the contextual information associated to your artist profile and your music. This includes everything from genre to album’s release date.

In this article you can find a complete explanation of how this information is gathered and reflected on the app. 

Now, since this information is set up by the label/distributor, this needs to be corrected in their end. In this article you can find the details about all the information that can be fixed. 

Hope this helps. 

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts