Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Radio station playing unrelated music

Radio station playing unrelated music

I created a ratio station for "Gemini" the dubstep artist.  This has been a wonderful station and I've found a lot of great new music, until yesterday...

It started playing rap songs.  I think I may have liked one on accident (because I actually liked it, not thinking what it might do to the station).  Disregarding the fact I liked one, why did one show up in the first place?  So I spent all day today disliking (thumbs down) all rap songs.  I was getting occasional dubstep, but also some rock/metal music.

I've spent weeks on this station, liking and disliking songs, tuning it just how I wanted.. but I was so frustrated, I deleted it to start over.  Only, now that I started over, it's still playing rap songs.  I don't know if it's the spotify algorithm that is broken, or all my previous settings for this station aren't being deleted.  

I noticed a couple of the artists are gemini (rap guy) and Jemin (rap-ish?), and another Gemini that is electronic but not quite dubstep.  None of these showed up before any of this started.

Anyway, I'd report this as a bug if I could.  At the very least, if I delete a station, it should clear my voting history with that station so I could start it over -- or give me a yes/no option to do so.  Since radio started, I've switched from playing my own music to radio 90% of the time.. now my favorite radio is broken.. I've tried other artists/groups related to dubstep in the past, but Gemini fits my particular taste the best, so this is disappointing.  

Thank you.

16 Replies

Just wondering, do they all get mashed up onto one artist page (the similar names)?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I am seeing the exact same thing. On Windows application and Windows Phone app. Started yesterday I think. Really sucks.

Just checked the web player and it's the same. I also tried to delete all my radio stations. That did not help.  

Killed local cache, made new stations, nothing helps.

It's all over the place. We Came As Romans station, three songs in and I have rap, next song it from Pokemon (!), Deuce, opera... see screenshot. 

spotify.jpg

It appears Spotify are collecting feedback about radio currently:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Newcomers-and-Contribution/Radio-Feature-Recent-Algorithm-Change/m-p...

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Not sure what you mean exactly.  If I search for Gemini, the guy I want comes up first, and his artist profile just has his music:

Gemini

There are other "Gemini", of course, but that seems like expected behavior.

So I just started a brand new station that I haven't made before, that is also based on Dubstep (the artist Nero, who is someone else I like).  And it too is playing rap songs.

I think someone at Spotify cross-referenced dubstep/techno/everything? with rap 😞

Im having the same problem

my distrubed station is playing pop and classical music. something is wrong with the radio

Completely agree.  Mine is playing completely random music and then music that it does play that fits that genre is only by that specific artist.  Basically my Breaking Benjamin station is only playing Breaking Benjamin and then any techno, rap, pop, etc song it can find.

Ah, this is exactly like my Berlin station problem. It used to one of my favorite stations and somehow became mixed with Irving Berlin and related artists. So, the station has become a mix of 80s, new wave, and 40s and 50s music, particularly Christmas songs. As for Berlin itself it pretty much sticks to their three most popular tracks. Definitely leave feedback in the thread Peter mentioned as I'm sure this has something to do with whatever testing may be going on.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I don't know how the radio algorithms are supposed to work, but I think it doesn't only go on artist. It also goes on genres and years, it seems like.

For example, if I start a radio station based on say 1980ies reggae, it will also throw in other hits from the 1980ies occasionally (to test the waters, so to speak) that you have to "thumb down". 

I also suspect that if for example you base the radio on a single artist, it might both grab "other artists from active years" as well as similar titles (if you have a christmas song in there, it will fill your radio with other christmas songs from other artists in the beginning).

I definitely agree the algorithm seems to work that way, and stations have generally turned out better when based on particular tracks or playlists. And, really, I've always been fine with fine tuning an artist based station to get the sound I want; the problem is the stations have gotten completely off track by apparently sometimes now tying in artists that just have a similar name. Irving Berlin and his related artists should never be played on a station based on the new wave band Berlin. That's just incomprehensible.
dinomightSpotify Star

Oh, and I forgot to mention at one point the station even played a song by another band that happened to be called Berlin as well, but it was in another language. These kind of blatant artist mixups used to be pretty rare for me on radio.
dinomightSpotify Star

Some of these examples are pretty funny :')

Hi all,

I have the same problem. It started when i was listingen to the radio related to the artist Protest the Hero. After a few metal songs Britney Spears and Rihanna came along... And i certainly didnt like anything. Now i listen to a Funk Radio and Maximo Park comes by and other not funk music. Not that i mind in this matter. But Britney and Rihanna no thank you. Anyway thats all. Fix it please ^^

K thx bye!

Been dealing with this same problem with my stations. I have one playlist that's a bunch of songs based on video games (fnaf and the like) that I listen to a lot, but I also have a completely different playlist full of stage musicals and classical pieces. When I go to the radio for the stage musical playlist, it plays nothing but fnaf songs and no amount of thumbs up or down is taking the video game songs off of that radio.

It's pretty frustrating when the radio doesn't even play the same genre of music as the playlist it's apparently attached to.

I asked spotifuggle for a Radio based on a song called Fata Morgana played by Dissidenten  a German band from the 80's.
What I get is a lot of unrelated Brazilian music in Portuguese. 
Came to Spotify because of its popularity but it's so hard to get the music I want.
I think I´m going back to YouTube Music.

Suggested posts