Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Really weird related artists?

Really weird related artists?

I'm wondering what Spotify bases it's related artists on?  My band Mothball has a very weird selection of related artists, none of them are even remotely close to the style of the band and a lot of them are political people like George W Bush, Homeland Security, Hilary Clinton & US Army!! what the heck??

take a look

https://open.spotify.com/artist/6rsTFFTHAY9NY6fABg12KX

Any ideas how I can get this changed?  It doesnt make sense at all.

Follow me
1 Reply

I think it is based on what other Spotify members who listen to the same artist listen to. For example, when I look at the Related Artists for t.A.T.u., which is perhaps the most popular Russian pop group, there are only a couple Russian artists, one of them being Lena Katina, a member of t.A.T.u. Instead of a bunch of other Russian artists, it lists artists well known to Americans, such as Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Kylie Minogue, Gwen Stefani, Evanescence, and Avril Lavigne. This is because t.A.T.u., despite being Russian, is popular with enough people who listen to these artists. But if I pick a more obscure Russian artist, such as Serebro, who is listed under t.A.T.u.'s Related Artists, I get a bunch of Russian artists for their Related Artists.

spotify:user:128759556

Suggested posts