Is there a way to report this? I've seen a few similar posts about this but it is unclear what to do. I saw one moderator suggest using the 'Contact Us' feature on Spotify, but there is no subject for this. I also saw a response by a moderator saying they reported it to the right people and to let them know of this kind of activity.
An artist in my local community gained 0 new followers in 2 weeks. 1000 followers on one day, and 0 followers since that day. I screenshotted the the Spotify for artists compare feature for followers in the last 28 days recently which is were it showed me very suspicious looking data. The 2 blue lines are artists with natural growth.
This same artist has just 1 song, released in Feb 2020. It was <1000 for 4 months, but it just gained over 11k in 4 days from June 3rd. This artist has not had a big playlist add or other media exposure to cause this. e.g. they have 3 twitter followers, 10 Youtube subs.
The potential issues with this activity:
- We have a local arts council that gets used frequently for grants. It is likely they will use these illegitimate Spotify statistics to boast success and abuse this system for money.
- It is likely they may try use these illegitimate numbers to trick show promoters into giving them slots over hard working artists; organic growth being overshadowed by false statistics and boasting.
- It undermines every artists hard work.
- I know these statistics aren't huge but they can do it again and bigger/frequently.
- They are using Spotify as their platform to do this on.
I understand this happens regularly and a quick google search reveals how easy streams/follows can be purchased. I've kept the artists name out of it for now but happy to give more info via message instead. What's the best cause of action? I have talked to this artists about it and they were vague and called it "marketing".