Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Request for Information: [All Platforms][Browse] US Top 50 Chart list appears influenced/skewed

Request for Information: [All Platforms][Browse] US Top 50 Chart list appears influenced/skewed

Artists appear to be artificially popular on Spotify, due to being in lots of Browse playlists, advertisements/paid sponsorship, being pushed into Radio stations, etc.

• See Request, Possible undesired outcomes, and a specific Example

REQUEST:

Greater transparency for Spotify promoted artists / influencers on Top Charts, AND/OR

Changing the criteria for Top 50 lists to not include plays from paid sponsor/feature highlight plays.

Undesired outcomes:

If Spotify's advertising or artist highlights are skewing top charts, it could really affect customers' listening pleasure.

My personal note:  Why would I pay money for Premium again just to have you shove a single artist in my face?

Example:

On 5/20, The Spotify US Top 50 chart playlist had Drake on 20 of 50 songs -- yet Billboard Hot 100 had him in only 5 of the top 50.  The Spotify Top 50 featured Drake on these songs:

#1 One Dance

#3 Pop Style

#4 Controlla

#8 Too Good

#11 Hype

#13 Grammys

#15 Work

#16 Still Here

#17 With You

#22 Childs Play

#25 Feel No Ways

#26 9

#35 U With Me?

#37 Jumpman

#39 Hotline Bling

#43 Weston Road Flows

#44 Drake

#45 Keep The Family Close

#49 Fire & Desire

#50 Faithful

2 Replies

@natalec

Hello:

This article here might help to understand the Spotify chart system being used in different listening regions, although it is on the Spotify Viral Chart, the same ideas would be similar to the other Spotify charts as well. https://radar.promogogo.com/words/understanding-spotifys-viral-charts

Thanks Jay, but this doesn't address the question in the same context. Viral charts are based on shares. It appears top charts are influence/skewed by other factors.

I was willing to spend time out of my work day to call attention to the fact that it's turning me off as a customer (a former premium customer). I don't want this deflected off-topic. The info you shared is interesting though, thank you.

Suggested posts