Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

SONGS SUDDENLY/INEXPLICABLY UNSAVED/UNCHECKED

SONGS SUDDENLY/INEXPLICABLY UNSAVED/UNCHECKED

I’ve been loving Spotify since subscribing about two years ago, and use the Premium version since it’s included as a free perk from my cell phone provider.

Recently [read: finally!] I completed cross-referencing my iTunes library of over 3000 songs and sourcing them here; finding better quality versions; stumbled upon 100’s of old songs I didn’t already have; was sucked into the rabbit hole repeatedly and discovered many more new songs/artists; and last but not least, created myriad different playlists to encompass eras and numerous genres from the Master Song Folder (MSF.) It’s been a painstaking process, but a labour of love.

I spent most of the past week refining my MSF by removing duplicate songs, and then going through each of my playlists (ie. 60’s/70’s/80’s… Beatles… Soul… Funk… etc.) to choose my fave versions and delete the others. This morning I logged on to continue the process and discovered that many of the playlists I’d refined had tons of songs which were now no longer saved/checked. For example, every one of the 172 songs in my Beatles playlist is now indicating a “+” sign instead of a checkmark. And that’s just one artist. There are many. **bleep**?!

It’s going to take me countless hours, maybe even days, to repeat the vetting process again. I guess it could be worse: the songs could have been removed from my MSF completely and I would’ve been none the wiser until I started to remember some fave songs and realized they were MIA.

I've never experienced this before. Does anyone have an explanation?   

P.S. Also, just out of curiosity for future reference, if all songs in a folder/playlist are unchecked (as with my mysteriously altered Beatles playlist),is there a way to save time by checking them all in one fell swoop instead of having to do them one at a time?

27 Replies

Yeah, this has been happening to me for months! I keep searching for songs, coming back and noticing that Spotify has unsaved my music. I'm not sure what has happened.

The usual things don't work -reinstall, clear cache, factory restore, different connection, try a different device (happens no matter what device it is), and so on. There's no rhyme or reason to it, it just seems to unsave whatever it feels like.

If anyone knows of a workaround, please do post here - I just want to keep hold of my collection, really! Thanks 🙂

This is still occurring to me as well, STILL removing entire albums and unfollowing artists that were the reason for joining the service in the first place!

This has happened to me several times. Most recently in the case of the Spotify update. 

I was also having issues playing songs Spotify told me I had downloaded offline. 

I deleted the app and reinstalled it then Spotify felt the need to tell me my premium account was deactivated although I was none the wiser. When I went to look through my artists( that being a challenge with the new update) I found half of the music I had saved by any artist was gone along with my playlists. Why doe this keep happening. I almost miss the days of iTunes when I had hard copy files on my PC that I could never loose and we're organized as **bleep**

the downloads have always been wonky for me, having to repeatedly restart it from the beginning, undownload/redownload the playlists to just get the new songs downloaded onto it

I guess the ole "have you tried turning it off and on again?" hasn't yet fallen out of use in the tech world

and my working theory for the songs being unsaved is it might be on account of how fluid and easy it's become for artists to control their pages and material, that they might often delete albums ep's or singles to rework them, change their format/grouping, or even just change their covers/aesthetics to just reupload again right after...because of how simple its become, and they might expect there's a system that reconnects their fans to the songs they've already saved? kind of falls apart there, but there's my 2 cents and then some

I have noticed this happening to me over the past few months it is seriously annoying and I cant seem to find any response from spotify. Why should users trust spotify if they randomly lose our saved songs, its a **bleep** joke tempted to switch to apple music

This happens to me. I had a long email exchange with support a couple of years ago giving specific examples but just got responses that there was "no evidence" that the songs were ever in my library. 

Just had it today as well. Frank Ocean - Orange. Listened so many times and it isn't coming up on my homepage much which is weird, search for it and it is unsaved/unliked... so frustrating. 

I tried to move to Apple Music and used it for a while but it was annoying in its own ways and I gave up on it. Been paying for Spotify for 12 years or whatever, and this is infuriating. I guess I'll try Tidal or some other option next and maybe that would be OK... 

Thing is they probably all have similar problems. Worryingly I'm starting to miss the old iTunes days and you can't even really do that anymore!! Argh!! 

Suggested posts