Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Song radio is now just a playlist?

Solved!

Song radio is now just a playlist?

Hey all, first off I love Spotify. Spotify constantly surpasses my expectations For finding new music. There is one question I have, and it's in regards to the song radios. Recently I noticed that when you create a song radio, it creates about a 30 song playlist that you can't edit. I was wondering if this is permanent or if I can revert to the previous version of Spotify because that's how I found most of my music, by editing don't radio stations. 

Since I'm here, I'm also curious about the algorithms used to find similar songs in a radio, considering the same few artists continually show up with different types of songs rather similar types of songs. Who knows, maybe I'm paranoid. Regardless great app, thanks to anyone who can help.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I'm guessing it's got something to do with that "stations" app they're testing out. I found a hack in another thread too - if you DRAG a song to the "Radio" tab on the left in desktop, it shows you the real song radio that isn't a playlist. From there you can follow it and it'll add it to your stations instead of making a playlist. But if at any point you right click on a song and hit "go to song radio" it just shows you a playlist, not the true song radio. The only way to get there is by dragging. Even clicking on the now-saved "station" takes you back to the playlist view.

I found this out because I was irritated that there was no way to put anything in the "stations" tab - adding a song radio just put another playlist in the left column, which is not the functionality I wanted. The dragging method works (for now).

That said, they're obviously in the middle of re-jiggering everything and aren't being communicative about it.

View solution in original post

27 Replies

What is going on with this?  Radio seems to be nothing more than static playlists now?  

Hello,

Although song and artists radios look like playlists you cannot edit them. 

If you are looking for more songs like those you can make your own playlist then Spotify will create a playlist similar to it. 

Hope this answers your question.

Please accept as a solution

Note: I am not a Spotify employee.

I don't think you understand the point I was trying to make, I simply don't want song radios to be small playlists. I want to be able to edit them as if they were the song radios they used to be. Or for an option to revert to the previous version.

I first noticed this behavior about a few weeks on my phone and it looks like it's carried over to all platforms and versions by now. I relied on the song radio feature to find new music using the like/dislike buttons for songs to customize the radio feed for my tastes. The fact that "song radio" is just a "song playlist" now is misleading and stupid, and it's incredibly irritating that I can't edit the playlist - like if I like every song except 1 on the "song radio" playlist, I can't get rid of that song, I have to create a new playlist with every single song except that one.

Spotify, this is the dumbest change you've made aside from removing playlist filtering. I'm pretty **bleep** close to switching to youtube music because of your terrible choices lately.

This is so stupid. Improving radio by linking and disliking songs was one of the most used features by myself. Now there's nothing like that anymore. Seems deezer is better after all with its flow. 

I've identified a quasi hack to this issue - If you right click on a playlist and select "go to playlist radio" it mimics the previous functionality in terms of the thumbs up and down impacting what gets played next, i.e. it's dynamic.  Makes zero sense that they removed this from individual artist pages.  

GENIUS. thank you. i literally isolated one song into a playlist and followed your instruction. got my radio back baby.

Worked for me too. What a hack. No support articles or updates from Spotify. I don't want to listen to curated Spotify playlists. This is where Pandora kills them and the fact that they are moving away from this makes no sense.

Marked as solution

I'm guessing it's got something to do with that "stations" app they're testing out. I found a hack in another thread too - if you DRAG a song to the "Radio" tab on the left in desktop, it shows you the real song radio that isn't a playlist. From there you can follow it and it'll add it to your stations instead of making a playlist. But if at any point you right click on a song and hit "go to song radio" it just shows you a playlist, not the true song radio. The only way to get there is by dragging. Even clicking on the now-saved "station" takes you back to the playlist view.

I found this out because I was irritated that there was no way to put anything in the "stations" tab - adding a song radio just put another playlist in the left column, which is not the functionality I wanted. The dragging method works (for now).

That said, they're obviously in the middle of re-jiggering everything and aren't being communicative about it.

wow nice work!  I never would have discovered this!  lol  

I’m not seeing this hack working on my phone app. I use my phone 99% of the time. Please help me if I’m simply not seeing the ability to create stations with like/dislike ability. 

I generally like the songs Spotify suggests, but I liked the ability to narrowly tailor playlists instead of Spotify suggesting the same songs no matter what artist or song I choose to make a playlist from. 

This is is one of the most annoying changes they’ve made. It’s pretentious for them to think they know what I like more than I do!

There's a far more easier "hack", than putting a song in a playlist.

Just search for that song and start it from search. After that song is played, it will start playing song radio. The old style. 

You'll find that song radio afterwards in "recently played"  

Nice to know! So the ability is still there, but they’ve eliminated a more direct approach to accessing the feature. Odd. 

Hopefully, they’ll fix this so I can play stations off albums, playlists, and artists without playing all their songs first. 

@wavyap_ wrote:

Hello,

Although song and artists radios look like playlists you cannot edit them. 

If you are looking for more songs like those you can make your own playlist then Spotify will create a playlist similar to it. 

Hope this answers your question.

Please accept as a solution

Note: I am not a Spotify employee.

That is in no way a solution. 

You are a life saver! Just drag it to radio! AMAZING

When a platform hides (kills) a high demand feature like this, and replaces it with a misleading (naming playlists Radio??) and terrible experience (no like / customization) - you can bet there's self interest ($$$) behind it. Smells a commercial model where artists/labels pay more to have their songs promoted through Spotify-curated "Radio Stations" (Playlists). If they totally kill the actual radio feature, they'll see a mass exodous - likely already happening with this terrible user experience. /me sad-panda.

The radio is a playlist you cannot edit, however as you progress along the radio and listen to songs, for every song you listen to it is exchanged for a new song.  It's shown as a playlist so that you know the queue of what's going to play.

Thank you for sharing this!

Tried it on different radio-seeds, artists, songs, playlists, it all works if you drag them to the radio menu. 

It is weird that all the info in the support pages relates to the old behaviour. They used to be quite quick in changing faulty info...

☆✩✪ Want to help out? Become a Spotify Rock Star today! ✪✩☆
Jag svarar på svenska via pm eller via twitter

Binaural track - listen with headphones with good volume!

Genius!! Thanks, I was a frustrated with the playlist/radio, just wanted my thumb-down back! 😉

Suggested posts