Sorting hat gone, any alternative around?

Solved!

Re: Sorting hat gone, any alternative around?

kikajon
Regular

Great !!!

muumel
Casual Listener

Hello, thanks Glenn for the new version, it's almost perfect. You truely are a legend.

To understand:I search for certain genre, add a song link to spotify app, and use app back-button to listen every added song, or at least some bits of it, rather than clicking the image (sorting hat was fine until maybe 2016, but then it started to be too slow), or the artist (which now seems to do something that interferes the systematic browsing of the site)  

What are different font color meanings now? Orange/blue?

While the sorting hat grouped releases under several genres, this one repeats the release under every genre the artists musical style is.

To be better:

• clicked ("greyed out") spotify song links could have more distinctive colours.
  • clicked links state could be saved to a cookie, so when visiting the site later after e.g rebooting the computer, the clicked and hopefully listened songs state could be seen again. 

I'm not sure yet but it seems that "greyed out" spotify links are randomly selected.

Country dropdown menu; I quess this is related copyrights, e.g. publisher has limited certain releses/artist only to be listened in USA, Is this correct?

Solution!

glenn_mcdonald
Spotify Legend

Right, the country chooser is to match up availability with your Spotify account. The old one was US centric, which is bad when things come out in different places on different dates, or not at all. 

And yes, the genre clustering approach is different in this one. It's trying to be more accurate, and better support targeted desires. If you look at a specific genre, the orange ones in the "similar genres" are the ones that aren't in the root genre.

Gray means the artist's relationship to the genre is more peripheral or questionable. 

Clicking an artist shows you all the genres they appear in. 

muumel
Casual Listener

Could we have the old sorting hat back as an option?

With same font colors as this one

I find this one too heavy to explore

glenn_mcdonald
Spotify Legend

Forward, not back!

What do you mean by "too heavy"?

Rock Star 18
Rock Star 18

@glenn_mcdonald 

The new one is perfect. Don't change anything. That's my record store now :)

twitter.com/soundofus

www.soundofus.com

SoundofusRock Star 18
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Highlighted

muumel
Casual Listener

Heavy, because there are swedish/canadian/uk americana

Hey, what about an option to remove country prefix

I found a way for that initial heavy by "hide duplicates" but it applies only to selected genre and similar genres.

a cookie for each friday releases that saves all the clicked releases, and reads it after revisit and hides duplicates, if it is clicked, how about that?

SUGGESTED POSTS