Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify is missing far too many obscure but legendary albums

Spotify is missing far too many obscure but legendary albums

I've done a lot of exploring into the spotify catalogue regarding more obscure bands from the 60s and 70s in particular and there are simply a ton of albums that aren't there. I'm talking really well regarded albums in enthusiast circles that are not there. Now the issue I have is that you can basically go to youtube and type in "(album artist) (album name)" and find a stream of any album ever.
I still think spotify's organizational features are really useful but I can understand why they don't have a lot of subscribers when youtube is just ridiculous with it's music streaming right now. How can spotify survive when youtube has everything?

some examples of missing albums that are available in full for free on youtube: Museo Rosenbach - zarathustra, Harmonium - all albums, banco del mutuo soccorso - all albums, Kraftwerk - early albums, all german album versions, magma - felicite thosz, slag tanz, faust - s/t, so far, ash ra tempel - all albums, amon duul ii - phallus dei, popol vuh - in den garten pharaos, yezda urfa - boris..even genesis' the lamb lies down on broadway, a famous album is not there but is on youtube.

and that's just a cursory search off the top of my head for obscure stuff. I mean spotify is unmatched for classical and jazz but they are really lacking in a lot of areas.

1 Reply

Hey @ny_jailhouse

The availability of music on Spotify is up to the artist and their music label.

This thread by Spotify staff explains why some music is not available:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Content-Questions/I-want-an-artist-song-on-Spotify/td-p/1136005

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts