Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Stop specific playlist from influencing discover weekly?

Solved!

Stop specific playlist from influencing discover weekly?

Hello! I use Spotify for work and have two work-specific playlists. Of course, what I play at work is very different from what I like to listen to in my spare time. Is there a way to stop these playlists from influencing my discover weekly playlists? I used to love listening to my discover weekly, but recently they have become too weighted by my work playlists. Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @megarita

You can try listening on Private Session.

Discover Weekly's algorithms won't track what you're playing through Private session, so you can play whatever you wish, none of it is going to influence your Discover Weekly. 🙂

Do keep in mind that you activity will be hidden from your followers as well.

Note: you'll have to enable it each time you open Spotify.

If you have more questions, please reply. 🙂

Happy holidays!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

21 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @megarita

You can try listening on Private Session.

Discover Weekly's algorithms won't track what you're playing through Private session, so you can play whatever you wish, none of it is going to influence your Discover Weekly. 🙂

Do keep in mind that you activity will be hidden from your followers as well.

Note: you'll have to enable it each time you open Spotify.

If you have more questions, please reply. 🙂

Happy holidays!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

A private session should stop your work playlist from influencing your discover weekly 

This doesn't help when I play my sleep playlist through google home at night and then suddenly hear rain sounds in my Discover Weekly

I do the same thing, could we just add a switch that prevents a playlist fro affecting the algorithm? 

Same here. I've actually stopped listening to sleep playlists on Spotify because they completely overwhelmed my Discover Weekly.

Hey guys,

But doesn't the fact that a playlist exists affect the algorithm... even if you don't listen to it?

Spotify suggests to add songs to your playlists if you really *Really* like them, which will then affect the algorithm. So even if I turn on private session, won't the playlist itself still be affecting the algorithm?

I want to keep playlists from my youth in a folder for archiving purposes, but I don't want them to affect my algorithm...

Annotation 2020-08-06 140250.jpg

The Private Session solution mentioned is only a band-aid because "Note: you'll have to enable it each time you open Spotify."
Please add a way to exclude certain playlists. I too would like to listen to Discover Weekly again.

Hey, someone posted an idea to solve this and if it gets enough upvotes, Spotify will implement it. 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Playlists-Activate-private-session-permane...

Like it up!

I also just posted a similar idea. Please help support it as well. My kids have totally killed my Spotify experience with their Kidz Bop and Nursery Rhymes.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/All-Platforms-Discover-Block-playlists-from-affect...

Just upvoted your post too. Thanks!

The real issue here is that adding songs to playlists affects your algorithm, and there is no way to make a playlist permanently "private".

There needs to be a way to ensure that certain playlists (eg sleep playlists or songs from my childhood) don't affect the algorithm!

Other use case that causes issues: I have a newborn and my lullaby playlist for her has turned my discover weekly entirely into lullabies... I'd rather it be my regular music once again.

Definitely would like a toggle switch to exclude some playlists from consideration by the algorithms. I do not want white noise, Christmas music, or that one song I had to play on loop at a work event to be ruining my Discover Weekly or other suggested content. 

I up-voted the open Idea - you should too! They need 100 votes/year to stay on the consideration list!
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Playlists-Activate-private-session-permane... 

I don't consider starting private session every time you listen to be a solution - that just puts the burden on the customer. 

It also doesn't work in 3rd party apps, cars, voice command players (echo, Google home), etc. They quickly responded and "closed" this ticket when I posted it. I updated your reply too

Couldn't this be a privacy issue?  I mean if I am playing a playlist called Deep Sleep, any user in the world could follow me and tell when I'm sleeping.  Generally those are the types of things that are hidden in the IoT world that Spotify integrates to.  I also listen to sleep music on my google home and it does ruin my Discover playlists...but I'm also not entirely cool with publishing to the world when I'm sleeping.  Is there a way to run a private listening session through a Google Home without starting in a app session first?

This is not a solution. This sucks.

Turning on "private listening session" isn't a solution, most of us know this tool.
It doesn't work when streaming via smart devices, which is the only way many people use Spotify.
It's also extremely inconvenient as it's hidden in settings for some reason, and it's only temporary.
We need more options, such as setting certain playlists to be permanently private

** THEY DID IT!! A REAL SOLUTION!! :

Exclude playlist from taste profile: https://support.spotify.com/us/article/your-taste-profile/ **

EDIT --
OLD MESSAGE:

This is not a good solution! Vote for this idea: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/All-Platforms-Playlists-Activate-private-session-perma...

Agreed, the idea was closed because of not enough interest, its insane to me that something so simple isn't ALREADY implemented, I cant play ANY discover playlists and my yearly Spotify wrap up is always DOMINATED by my sleeping playlist's first 5 songs, so ridiculous. SPOTIFY, FIX THIS. WE DONT WANT SLEEP PLAYLISTS TO AFFECT ALGORITHM.

Suggested posts