Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Strange and annoying results in classical music searches

Strange and annoying results in classical music searches

This has happened a number of times for me when searching for classical music pieces, even relatively obscure ones. As a case in point, when you search "villa lobos harp concerto" you get a multitude of results with the same personnel, track times and silly album titles (eg Classical Life of Pi, Cigars, Cognacs and Classics, Tone Your Tum, Mega Chill Classical). This personnel includes the nonsensical and non-existent ensemble "Bronze State Philharmonic Orchestra" (which only produces a handful of results if you Google it enclosed in quotes). (In actual fact, it's the same recording as that made by the Bolshoi Theatre Orchestra recurring numerous times.) Why on earth do the makers of these classical music compilations come up with such names? How does such rubbish get uploaded to Spotify in the first place, and shouldn't there be some kind of quality control? I've encountered too much of this which has no real reason to appear and is making searching classical music more time-consuming and cumbersome than it need be.

4 Replies

Hey

Sorry to hear about that and sorry for the late response.

You have a valid argument. I, for one, know just how troublesome it can be to find classical music pieces.

I'm afraid Spotify does not have much control over the naming of any content that gets uploaded.

We're really sorry and hope the names they come up with give you a better result in the future.

Thank you 💛

TaylithSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

It would help very much if you could search by catalogue number.

Lots of classical music is on Spotify, but hard to find because naming/titles do not match.

example:

catalogue ID ODE 1094-5 

On Spotify it's called "Poulenc, Saint-Saëns & Barber: Works for Organ & Orchestra ". This is not a title you find in the label Ondine's catalogue nor on online music databases like Discogs.

If that proves helpful,then maybe it's the way to go. If many people think so,then it could be in the ideas board to make it easy to search by catalogue number.
I have to say though, the names should be working just fine,I don't know why the search results behave like that.
We apologize.
TaylithSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Non of the names of the pieces on this collection / album work well to find it. Using all of them combined "Camille Saint-Saëns Symphony No. 3 "Organ", Francis Poulenc Organ Concerto, Samuel Barber Toccata Festiva" (also without composers) results in nothing useful.

Searching then for a part e.g. "Camille Saint-Saëns Symphony No. 3" results in a long list of albums/renditions, but not this one.

The best way to find it in the end turned out to be combining the performing artists/conductor like "Olivier Latry ,The Philadelphia Orchestra, Christoph Eschenbach". This combination is unique enough to identify this work.

This is just an example, but there's often so many renditions of classical pieces by different combinations of orchestras, soloists and conductors that finding a specific one is difficult in Spotify. 

Suggested posts