Various questions about genres assigned to songs/albums

1 person liked this

Various questions about genres assigned to songs/albums

Arikabeth
Gig Goer

I have two questions about how songs are tagged with genres:

Do songs get genres assigned to them on a per-song basis, or is the genre assigned on a per-album basis with no distinction between individual songs within the album (assuming the songs all had the same artist)?

Also, I assume there is no helpful way users can provide feedback about tracks/albums that do not have any assigned genres (regardless of whether the feedback is "correct" or "wrong" compared to the genres types spotify operate with)?

2 Replies
2 people liked this

Re: Various questions about genres assigned to songs/albums

Rising Star 16 mosohodPeti
Rising Star 16

Hey there @Arikabeth!
To answer your first question;
Genres are assigned to songs one by one by the artist.

To answer your second question;
There is a way to do that! You can report Conent Errors here which include songs having the wrong genre assigned to them. Heres the link: [link]

Hope this helps, have a nice day! :)

mosohodPetiRising Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Re: Various questions about genres assigned to songs/albums

Arikabeth
Gig Goer

Thanks, this helps a lot!

However, about the second question, do you think reporting a possible fitting genre for a song without any assigned genre is helpful? I.e. , does it contribute any valueable information if the songs remain will unlabeled as long as the artist doesn't provide any genre for the song, regardless of the reports given (and especially when the validity of the genres assigned in reports are questionable when coming from a random spotify user? ).

I wouldn't want to submit errors if they don't contain any useful data.

SUGGESTED POSTS