Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Viral 50 & Global 50 South Africa

Viral 50 & Global 50 South Africa

It has been 4 weeks since y'all launched in South Africa and yet we don't have our own Viral 50 & Top Chat 50 just wanted to know what's up Spotify because the other countries y'all launched in on that day seem to have thier own.

5 Replies

This very valid question was asked back in April. There was no reply and there still doesn't appear to be a Top 50 South Africa available. Spotify, what's going on? 

I'm the same person that asked that question in April I just thought that a lot of people have joined since then and maybe they will consider this option .

Hi

I am also wondering about this. I am weekly updating myself on this progress.

I've been a Swedish user for about eight years. This funcion was quite change quite a lot. From the beginning you were able to organize the charts for yourself. You could view your personal top 50, see the available countries top 50 and the worlds top 50. They changed this about 2013 when entering USA. The charts was changed to playlists. It was not as easy as from before to compare different charts. During this time many contries were added. I remember seeing charts from newly added contries being visible and gone from one day to another. At this time you could see the amount of users that followed a certain chart. Possibly corresponding somewhat to the number of users.

The main issue as I see it was that there were too few users in some contries. This lead to that some few very active users could affect the charts a lot. In some of the new contries there could be a lot of metal tracks from the same artist. Maybe because the most active user/users from that region listen a lot to that metal band. The idea of the charts was to reflect the contrys current popular songs. And these metal tracks did not really go in that spirit. They were decades old.

There could also be other charts with a lot of Michael Jacksson tracks. You get the idea. Charts based on a too small user base are not corresponding to what an average music chart looks like.

So sometimes a few months passed before the certain country would return to the charts listing.

I think spotify learned from this. Because the time it takes for the charts to appear from the moment spotify is available there has varied a lot. Japan for example took quite longer than average to appear on the charts.

So my guess is spotify is waiting for the SA active user base to turn stable. Because there can be a lot of monthly and weekly users, but the charts are updated daily. And they want them to reflect the average popularity in the country. Close to a radio chart.

So perhaps a take would be to make sure people using spotify in SA does that on a daily basis. My take is that the charts should be out there any day now. But I'm not really sure how it's working out for spotify in SA, is it popular? Does people use it just to look up a song or is it their main source of music?

Fot the moment though, before I can jive to popular tunes from SA, I'm up for any suggestions for SA music.

Tunes I like are

Bamthathile - Sun El-Musician

Loliwe - Zahara

Suited -Shekhinah

Any tips?

Yeah I get what you are saying... When they launchedvin South Africa they next week they had the playlist which mainly had old Kwaito songs and then the playlist vanished so I get your explanation.

I see you are more into Afro Pop the playlist Made In South Africa is more of what you will like and I see them add recent stuff that olau on radio almost every day .

Suggested posts