Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

WHY do you keep removing songs???

Solved!

WHY do you keep removing songs???

Why is it that Spotify can't leave stuff alone??? YES, add music, but STOP taking down music!! ESPECIALLY after its on a playlist! 

Stop letting artists and outhouse lawyers tell you what to do, grow a pair and LEAVE THE MUSIC *UP* ONCE IT'S UP!! 

I am NOT going to pay for something if I cannot count on it being there from (literally) one day to the next!!

216 Replies

The whole album Danzig IV by Danzig is gone!

THIS is f***ing BS.... why do I pay for premium and you guys keep removing songs? Whats the darn point?

if you look at my playlist that I started in 2012/13, you will see all the grayed out songs.....Tyga, Alicia Keys, Jay Z, Taylor Swift....

This is not fair. Going to cancel my premium shortly and move to apple music.

Thank you for nothing.

FANTASTIC, now I can see all my songs that were removed from my playlist...thank you so much.

One of my favourite songs My love - Mia was on tracklist and was then removed that is not okey and I rather listen for free on Youtube then and being able to listen to the songs I added then listening on Spotify if songs are just removed like that.

Happened to a song ( valerie 68 version ) i have in a playlist but every single other song...still there soooo

Especially when the rest of an album remains available. Frustrating!!!!

Solution: be grateful. You're getting music for next-to-free, and this is a wonderful time for you. It's not Spotify's fault - the artists are taking it down. Without the artists' grace you'd have zero music, and they're getting paid in pennies. So enjoy 🙂

Much love ❤️

Nathan

Artist

Next to free? On a premium plan? You better check your numbers there ace.

I put an artist in my favourites bar to make a note of the name and now its gone. cant recall artists name to even buy their records. is there no way to recover at least the names of removed artists from an account?

Hey, there is a setting in spotify that says *hide unplayable songs*. If you uncheck that, you will be able to see your old songs, but you wont be able to play them. Hope this helps!

This sucks, and this is making me seriously think about stopping my premium membership

Hey I just noticed a load of fela kuti songs weren't showing up and I can no longer find them on Spotify, any idea what's happened?

Why did you remove Jacquees and Dej Loaf whole album except for 1 song?

But don`t you think it would be good idea to notice your subscribers somehow when a song is removed? Like for example, a "greyed out" version of the songs in the playlist for a limited time or even better, a email notification whenever a song is removed.

The way Spotify does it now, there is no way to know which song(s) are removed and it shouldn`t be like this.

I am really dissapointed in how you handle this.

Ok, so i just found out that there is a setting to show songs no longer avaliable but it appears that this setting is set to off as default. But when i switched it on, i can now see those the songs that has been removed from my playlists.

Would still prefer some sort of notification though when songs are removed.

The time it took me to develop new playlists, etc. (which is what I had to do when the old Grooveshark took a dive), only to discover that all my hard work and time was for naught!

Why dangle the candy until you are sure you won't be scared to take it off because of some BS attorney chiming about the "rights" blah, blah, blah...

That said, you don't want to violate any "rights", but I assure you, you are violating my "right" as a paying customer, to give me what I pay for, only to have it taken away from me.

Could it be time to seek out another service?

@StevenEvans4 wrote:
Exactly... Why are certain songs from an album missing if the rest of the album is there?
For instance a few songs from the band RED's album "Innocence & Instinct" are missing. Namely: "Intro (Canto III)," "Out From Under," "Overtake You," and "Nothing and Everything" all stick out to me as omissions from Spotify's catalog

Old post I know, but those tracks are from the deluxe edition of the CD. That's the record label not Spotify

Ugh, I just discovered that this happened to me. A whole bunch of the music I use for listening to when writing just isn't there. And I can't possibly remember it all or go looking up an entire group and poke through every single album trying to find it so I can look it up on Youtube. I can't possibly remember everything that was in my playlist and the name of the song and the artist. That's ridiculous.

If you MUST remove music for copyright reasons, can you at least leave the song (unplayable) in the playlist? Something that says 'this song isn't available right now'????

That way at least people can look up the song on other media or purchase it instead of just guessing what was in their playlist.

I personally find it hard to believe that most of The Young Tradition's songs and all of Hanging Johnny's suddenly developed copyright issues.

Can I ask if "Givin me what they want" feat Prince by Janelle Monae was taken down due to the Prince estate contracts or is it just out of respect. It's an important song on the album "Electric Lady" by Janelle Monae and I'm curious why it's missing.

I mean the music industry is too large/complicated to predict when a contract is up or a lawyer is hired to enforce copyright laws. You are paying for service that has a certain fluidity to it, and all streaming services have this snag. It's unfortunate but most streaming services have a similar catalogue and switching services might be a fruitless endeavor. Even more complicated is the fact that artists get measly royalties or none at all, so there is little incentive to keep music on streaming services especially if it's an active part in lowering album sales. A small solution for consumers would be for Spotify to show the tracks that are removed to give customers the knowledge on what tracks are or aren't available.

It is frustrating but these services have little control over what gets taken away and it certainly isn't arbitrary. These are certainly complex issues but there aren't many alternatives unless Spotify were to be blatantly unethical and keep up tracks despite the conflict that these artists and labels have with the copyright infringement that streaming services have previously (and sometimes unknowingly) violated.

Suggested posts