Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

WHY do you keep removing songs???

Solved!

WHY do you keep removing songs???

Why is it that Spotify can't leave stuff alone??? YES, add music, but STOP taking down music!! ESPECIALLY after its on a playlist! 

Stop letting artists and outhouse lawyers tell you what to do, grow a pair and LEAVE THE MUSIC *UP* ONCE IT'S UP!! 

I am NOT going to pay for something if I cannot count on it being there from (literally) one day to the next!!

216 Replies

Going all in with streaming services is great if you are ok with some songs being removed. I choose to buy songs I want to keep either CD or MP3 versions. I just like owning certain songs. I will also continue with Spotify because I like the convenience.

Ok, so delete 200 of my songs but don't tell me which ones you deleted? That is ridiculous. Why would i want to pay for a service, when you're just going to delete half of my music, and not tell me which so i can listen to it elsewhere? Because obviously their shitty service doesn't tell us.. My **bleep**ing music just disappears. Great service you guys provide. Been paying for this**bleep** for years now.

Hey there @WizeGoldMan,

Thanks for sharing this here in the Community!

If you're having troubles finding content in the app, we'd recommend first taking a look at this support site article.

Keep in mind that if you have the setting to Show unavailable songs in playlists toggled on, you should be able to see any songs that were previously added in a playlist but are no longer available on Spotify greyed out.

We add new content to Spotify every day, so if you can’t find something you’re looking for right now, hopefully it may appear (or reappear) soon!

On another note, you might also be interested in adding your support to this idea about getting a notification when tracks are about to become unavailable in the app. If you're curious on how ideas get implemented or what a "Not Right Now" status means, we'd suggest taking a look at this Spotify Answer

Hope this info is useful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else we can help with.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Here's an idea! STOP REMOVING SONGS THAT WERE ALREADY ON THE SITE! 

Hey there @artful_dodger59,

Thanks for getting back in touch!

Please keep in mind that availability of songs in the app depends on the permissions from rights holders.

If something you'd previously saved in the app is now grayed out or unavailable, it's possible that licensing agreements with the artist/labels, or ownership of rights, has changed. Hopefully it will reappear soon - new content is added on Spotify every day.

In the meanwhile, you can always add your support to the idea mentioned previously.

Don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Psy - Gentlemen

Please stop the**bleep** it's pathetic! 

Lol it's not spotify's choice they're just trying to follow the law. Plus the music is property of the artist/record label.

Self removed their most popular song Stay Home from the movie Shrek and I be livid rn.
so many songs missing from the shrek soundtrack smh.

Also Wuh Oh removed their Wuh Oh EP which you can't even find anywhere now except for one song on it and i am sad man.

I came to realise, my friend, after some research of my own, that the
reason for this removal or disappearance of songs is often due to one of
these:

• Rights discrepancies between original artists & publishers.

• Discrepancies between Publishers and third party sources, I.e.
Distributors, like spotify, apple music, Google music etc.

• Licencing funds unable to secure on-going distribution, I.e. can't
afford to keep their song on stream

• Contractual discrepancies resulting in change to terms and conditions,
licenses, royalties and rights between artist and distributor.

• Change to distributor terms after induction of new laws.

In closing, it's not always the artist's fault or Spotify's fault,
sometimes it's the result of changes that induce side effects.

Examples:
Michael McCann, the sound engineer for Behaviour Music Canada, and the
creator of the sound track to 'Deus Ex: Human Revolution', temporarily
stopped streaming the OST on Spotify, and after some official changes,
about 3 - 9 months later, the OST became available again.

'I wanna know' by Röyksopp, was actually released before 2014, though the
rights were challenged 1 or 2 years later and the song was removed,
suddenly, in 2019 it had reemerged under the 'Lost tapes' album title and
is available once again.

It's difficult to ever know the reason behind the loss of music, but the
positive is that sometimes it's temporary, returns, under a new name or
artist, so try searching within the genre that the song belongs, and you
may become pleasantly surprised.

Don't be sad friends, be adaptive & protective about your music.

All the best
xxxX

There is song from 2009 which works fine on other music platforms but on here it is litrally not available in any country??? the song is professor green hard night out if you need a refrence

I agree. I went to listen to "Lazarus" by Placebo from the album "Meds," and it wasn't there. I know it's been there, because I used to listen to it all the time on Spotify. Now, it's gone. To be fair, there is a general release, and then a "U.S. Release Version" of that album, but apparently they decided to switch and remove that song or switch album vesions? Streaming music is amazing! However, it doesn't come without the downside that one day you want to listen to a song/artist, and then all of a sudden they're just...."gone" because a lawyer didn't want it there, or they violated some arbitrary PC culture rule and should therefore be wiped from human record. Caveat emptor. Caveat emptor.

No they don't. Spotify does NOT want all the songs.

Dead artists don't request for their music to be removed, yet I see music from dead artists removed.

Artists who have entire catalogues of their music on here but are missing a couple of songs that were HITS. Not obscure stuff, TOP 50 HITS!

Why are Perry Como - Girl With The Golden Braids or Patti Page - Left Right Out Of My Heart not on Spotify. Artists who have entire catalogues of their songs on here, but are missing those hits.

Why has Jerry Lordan, who died in 1995, had most of his music removed? And this is music from around 1960!.

Spencer Ross - Tracy's Theme was on Spotify in 2015, it isn't now. Ok, he's still alive but did he really request for the track to be removed?

ADD THIS BACK PEASE IT KEEPS ON GETTING REMOVED EVEN THOUGH IT IS COPYWRTIGHT FREE AND NCS MUSIC.                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88mWCoccF54

You can usually find the song somewhere on the internet, download it, then you can add it into a playlist using local files.

This link helps

https://support.spotify.com/us/article/local-files/ 

You could, but now they seem to be making life **bleep** regarding adding "local files" to playlists.

My playlists are not syncing across devices. I still use the old client on my PC and I drop the local file in only for it to drop straight out again.

It's going mad.

Cygnosic's album Remix and Reflect - which disappeared in like the fall of 2019 but returned September 2021 and disappeared again the following December.

Terminal Velocity by Technikal.

All songs by Xigmatek - unavailable since like 2016.

All songs by DJ Scot Project including Overdrive.

Each of these disappeared from Apple Music the same day as they disappeared from Spotify. Why is that always the case?

The following album is an odd one and I'm wondering if it looks the same for people in different countries around the world, or whether it might be some sort of regional licensing thing.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1 (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
https://open.spotify.com/album/24py1bFh9hOAHF3dIz8ast

When I open that URL, I'm seeing the following tracks available to play in Spotify:

2. Dead Air (CHVRHCES)
3. Scream My Name (Tove Lo)
6. Yellow Flicker Beat (Lorde)
9. Flicker (Kayne West Rework) - performed by Lorde
11. This Is Not A Game (The Chemical Brothers, Miguel)

Am I the only one that sees some tracks missing?

Well at least we know that Lorde doesn't mind having her music in Spotify... but wait, why is track 12, "Ladder Song" unplayable (song performed by Lorde)?

Perhaps the problem is with the songwriter of "Ladder Song" , Conor Oberst or his publishing company. But he has his own music on Spotify and he has his collaboration album. Better Oblivion Community Center (with Phoebe Bridgers) on Spotify.

Also track 4 is unplayable and that is "All My Love", performed by Major Lazer and Ariana Grande. Perhaps one of them changed their mind about allowing the track on Spotify, but then we find a remix of the same song available on the Major Lazer album, Peace Is the Mission.

I accept that artists have the right to remove their music, but random tracks missing from an album, when the same artist has other tracks on Spotify and in some cases, different versions of the same track,  that makes no sense.

Edit: 28-Jan, it appears that most of those missing songs from The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1 (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) are playable again.

@WorldQuestioner wrote:

Each of these disappeared from Apple Music the same day as they disappeared from Spotify. Why is that always the case?

If they disappeared from Apple Music and other services at the same time, it's almost certainly due to the artist, their record label or the publishing company. Perhaps there is some dispute or change in distribution rights or something like that.

Almost 10 years ago I happily switched from iTunes to Spotify, but with the recent harsh removal of songs (30-50% across my playlist became unplayable) I am forced to swap to apple music ... is this really the intend?

Suggested posts