Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

What's the 'like' meter based on?

What's the 'like' meter based on?

When searching for songs, in the results you can see and organize the songs based by a meter wheres a picture of a thumb up. I'd be really interested to know where the meter is based on? Streams in the last month? Compared to what? I bet an artist's top 10 songs are chosen with this very same meter? I'm very sorry if someone has asked about this before, I couldn't find one but then again I'm a fresh face here.

Have a nice day, I know I will since I finally got my Discover Weekly working. 

- Ida

9 Replies

Hello there and welcome to the community,

There is 2 kinds of "thumb up"

1 - the one you talk about header of a column is the popularity of songs. The "meter" is based on the total number of streams of the song

2 - When you use the section Radio, you can see a thumb up and a thumb down. By clicking one or the other you indicate if you want keep or not in the station the current song playing.

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Great! But what about the artist's top ten songs? What others are influencing it except streams of all time?

@IdaSällinen

It could be a ratio between the period of time the song has beeing available and the number of streams.

A song can have much more streams than another but with a longest time of availability, then a low ratio.

Another with a better ratio will be ranked before even if its a recent song with actually less streams.

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Makes sence. Thanks!

I think it's the ratio of people who like it on the radio (as in save it) to people who don't. But I don't know why the meter displays total plays and shows little to no people saving it, because that doesn't make much sense either

Spotify isn't really that great but I mean it's the best we got

When I first saw the "like" meter, I thought it was the total number of songs too. But then I noticed two songs where the first had 24 million plays with only 2 out of 5 bars, and the second had 1 million plays with 3 out of the 5 bars. I'm still very confused about it. maybe the first one had fewer streams in the last month?

ngl, i didnt even realise it was a feature 🙂

I've noticed that if the song is explicit then it can affect the score. For example, I found two songs from the same album (and released similar times) where one was explicit with 21 million listens and the other has half a million but more bars on the counter and isn't explicit. I've noticed it other times too but I might be wrong.

This changed a little since the question is 5 years old but I'm gonna update anyways, because I had to dig Uncle Google a lot to find a reliable answer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/bsffvp/this_is_what_the_popularity_bars_next_to_tracks/

As far as I know  "thumbs up" icon only shows in desktop app. And it is definitely misleading if you are an artist. It seems like the icon and the bars part show the total likes for the song, but it is NOT. When I first saw it it made me feel like a potato, because it was 2 out of 8 bars 🙂 

I think thumbs up icon should have been something else, i.e.  U+1F3A7  or similar

🎧

Cheers.

spotify_thumbs_up_icon.jpg

Suggested posts