Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

When is Spotify going to return on Roku?

Solved!

When is Spotify going to return on Roku?

When is Spotify going to available on Roku again?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

As announced by Roku on Oct 31, 2018, the Roku app is back. Now you can search for albums and playlists to listen to or browse music recommendations from Spotify directly on your Roku device.

Spotify is available on select Roku players and Roku TVs with Roku OS 8.2 or higher. Click here for more information on the required software and to see a list of supported devices. 

View solution in original post

132 Replies

Hey @hannahpapp,

As Spotify looks to improve the overall experience, they removed the app from Roku TV systems on December 22nd, 2017. Spotify hopes to have a better version of the app on these devices in future.

For more information, and for other ways to stream to your TV, check this out.

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Totally agree, It being removed at very short notice is bad enough but with no timescale as to how long we have to wait to have the "Better Experience" is totally unacceptable.

When know when you removed it but please can you let us know when we are likely to have access back otherwise cannot see the point in me remaining a premium customer.

Thank you

That's a shame.... It's a nice attention grabber for guests..

Totally agree.  It's crazy that a company can remove their paying customer's ability to use their service without warning and without any indication that a replacement will be available in a timely matter. 

Really need some info from Spotify about the re-development of the app and an explanation of why they think it's ok to remove functionality from paying customers at will.  This is unacceptable.

You couldn't keep the crappy experience while you were working on a better experience? Besides ripping off artists you can't even get your act together like a competent tech company and do a seamless rollout?

What an awful response from Spotify:

- Already two months have gone and there is no new version released.

- Can't even -give a release date for the new version

- Won't keep the other version while the new one is developed, yeah sure experience was poor 4/10 but now we got no experience at all! Awesome thought process: "Let's improve the service by removing it completely.

It's been two freaking months, how hard is this? How does a company at this stage not have a seamless roll out of their new version, while also keeping the other one available for users. Kind of **bleep**.

So when is it going to return? 3 months later?

My emails indicate that it is not a priority for them. They suggested that I choose a different streaming box. I do not think it will return. 

In all fairness, it is not easy creating applications for the hundreds of operating systems out there. Most people don't realize the time it takes to not only develop software, but to debug it as well. There's also3 other factors:

• The issue of making sure the application is secure
  • And updates/or lack of updates by the vendor for each device
  • Lack of usership.

So, a lot of things go into it. If there aren't enough people using their Roku, Sony PlayStation, etc, etc, they're not going to invest more time on it. They'll focus more on mobile applications instead.

this is annoying mainly bc the old one wasn't that bad.  it wasn't great, but it's better than the current situation where it doesn't exist at all.

also tbh, i used it a LOT on multiple TVs and Roku devices so I was pretty salty when they took it down.

I just canceled my premium membership after 5 years.  I can't use a service that just yanks avaibalibilty away from its cutomers with no warning, no replacement, and no infromation about when this might be available again.  Goodbye Spotify.  I just signed up with Premium Pandora.

I rarely used the Roku version anyway. It was pathetic to begin with. I have a bluetooth set up on both music systems to stream from my phone. 

Wicked Reach, Jabra, and others have very small bluetooth receivers you can connect to your audio port on your TV or receiver. From there just pair your phone (or computer) to the bluetooth receiver and stream away. For a decent one they cost about $50 but I got one for the garage at Walmart for under $20. Perfect for working on the cars or parties. Easy enough to disconnect and move elsewhere too.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wicked-Wibtr40-the-Reach-Bluetooth-Receiver-Black/107461710

In other words, the Spotify PR dept is filling the Roku owners with a line 'o bull**bleep**. Glad handing, lying and saying, "In the meantime, look for other options for Spotify..." They are done with Roku for some reason. EVERYONE DROP SPOTIFY NOW ! GO SOMEWHER ELSE TO FIND MUSIC! Once the avant garde/the future, now they are the TRUMP ADMIN. of streaming music. Oh how the might has sold out...  

@walks35 wrote:

I rarely used the Roku version anyway. It was pathetic to begin with. I have a bluetooth set up on both music systems to stream from my phone. 

Wicked Reach, Jabra, and others have very small bluetooth receivers you can connect to your audio port on your TV or receiver. From there just pair your phone (or computer) to the bluetooth receiver and stream away. For a decent one they cost about $50 but I got one for the garage at Walmart for under $20. Perfect for working on the cars or parties. Easy enough to disconnect and move elsewhere too.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wicked-Wibtr40-the-Reach-Bluetooth-Receiver-Black/107461710

Isn't it great? Not only are do those devices enhance ourf music experience, they're easy, and most are inexpensive.

@atomicbobb wrote:

In other words, the Spotify PR dept is filling the Roku owners with a line 'o bull**bleep**. Glad handing, lying and saying, "In the meantime, look for other options for Spotify..." They are done with Roku for some reason. EVERYONE DROP SPOTIFY NOW ! GO SOMEWHER ELSE TO FIND MUSIC! Once the avant garde/the future, now they are the TRUMP ADMIN. of streaming music. Oh how the might has sold out...  

The number of Spotify users, who use Roku are very very small. Even I have to admit I don't use my Roku for music like that. If I do use Roku for "Radio," it's usually a news station. Besides, The sound that comes out of our laptops and cellphones (through an amp) has much better sound, than doing roku to TV.

Yes they are. I've attached how I set it up.

• $19.99 Wicked Reach Bluetooth Receiver @ Walmart
  • $14.99 Multi-port USB charger @ Menards / Home Depot (charge your phone and bluetooth receiver at same time) 
  • Under $10 3.5 MM audio splitter @ Menards / Home Depot

Now when anyone comes over they can pair to the bluetooth receiver and play whatever they want. Each guest is their own jukebox. Life solved.

Walks

20180315_081459.jpg

NICE!!!!

That's **bleep**ed up.

Suggested posts