Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Why CDs are better than Spotify (or any other online music service)

Why CDs are better than Spotify (or any other online music service)

WTH? I know I listen to some obscure music sometimes but I'm getting really tired of music just disappearing from my lists! This time it's an old 80s band Orion the Hunter. Their stuff was out there & now it's just the artist page, songs are all gone. This is the HUGE problem with Spotify and the rest of them. Luckily I have the CD so I can load locally but nowadays I don't buy new music anymore, just depend on having it available on Spotify. And for the premium price I pay I shouldn't have to!!

Maybe I should be rethinking this & go back to buying the music directly so I either have a digital or in-hand copy. This is ridiculous!!

3 Replies

Hey @CCRDad 

I have to say you're right. While music streaming platforms are quite a blessing (so much music in your device for just a little fee or a few ads!), it also has downsides mainly for those who have favourite songs and artists they want to hear any time.

Music streaming is pretty volatile as it relies on agreements with rightsholders, labels, distributors, artists. Any change done to distribution may mean the content it affects will be unavailable for some time. Sometimes artists decide to remove some content. Sometimes a dristributor closes its doors and artists who notice it too late have their content unavailable until they find another distributor. Many other things can happen too.

It's basically having an access to all the content for a little fee (or like accessing a library and borrowing books with a reader's card you paid for), you don't own anything.

While Spotify is really great, I love the platform, I wholeheartedly recommend buying music you love. You'll have it ready to play at all times as well as support the artists you love!

(I stumble upon artists that have their songs in Spotify, but no way whatsoever for buying them. No bandcamp, nothing in juno, nothing.. anywhere...)

Have a lovely day 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey, CCRDad

I agree; it is ridiculous. I feel bad for not C.D.s, anymore, with the exception of one for a song that I needed for a school project, as well as one that I bought for my local files (Def Leppard's The Vault), which I had years ago. Of course, Spotify got their music (that other stuff didn't count), after I got the album. I think it would be a cool option, after and if they implement bringing the highest quality (I believe it's lossless like C.D.s) that they mentioned trying out, to everyone, if Spotify let you buy playlists, albums, and other content. It would help with your problem, at least for the ones who don't want the physical album. I have a special local files playlist (separate from the built in one) that I use for songs that I want available anytime, because they're on certain playlists. When I want to download the playlist, that song or songs will already be downloaded. You might wnat to try that. I don't if that solves a problem that you are having, related to the problem that you stated, but I hope it helps.

Once I get my own place, again, I may start buying C.D.s, again. I'll keep Spotify, though.

Oh, I forgot that I was going to share this with you.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScMGwTBnCz8nOPkM5g9IwwbpKolEWOXkhpAUSl8JjlkKcBGKw/viewform

It may help get the album back on there. Since artists may not have known that distributors have shut down, like Sebasty stated, the processing of this form may notify the right people (maybe the artist) to make it available, again.

Follow me

Hey, CCRDad

I just made a post with the idea that I told you about. If you like it, would you support it and share it?
Follow me

Suggested posts