Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Why are only male composers featured on the classical music browse channel?

Why are only male composers featured on the classical music browse channel?

Why has Spotify chosen only male composers on the browse classical page? All the featured composers are male, the classical new releases are male, and the composer weekly is male. Is it really hard to even include one female composer?

5 Replies

There are no good women composers. If there was spotify would notice them and put them on the playlist

Hi @sabatronn, welcome to the community

although there are many more male than female composers (in the world and on Spotify) luckily there are  Spotify Weekly Composer lists with female composers

after a quick look I found:

Hildegard #069

Germaine Tailleferre #140

Cécile Chaminade #047

Puline Oliveros #073

Amy Beach #096

Jennifer Higdon #071

Sofia Gubaidulina #070

and I'll have missed possibly some others...

Happy listening!

Hi @sabatronn again and hi to anyone in search of female classical composers,

when I was searching in the area of classical Spotify playlists I stumbled upon this one: a collection of women composers of classical music, nice overview!

spotify:user:spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1DX5hL1aT2vhMb

happy listening (and just click on the composers names in this list to find way more music)

@sabatronn @musicajet Too bad, I've come across the same problem about not finding female composers. In the classical genre section I no longer see the "women of classical" playlist, only if I look for it, which means it has disappeared from featured sections.

I've opened a new idea submission for spotify to add at least two female composers to the Composers category: 60 playlists dedicated each to one composer, not one of them female. Head over to the post and up-vote it so that the spotify team can see it!

I was disappointed by the list that Spotify made about classical composers. It gives the impression that the best composers are all men. There are such great female classical composers. After Spotify created these inspiring Equal... playlists, I don't understand how they could promote this list of only composers at the same time. 

Suggested posts