Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Why do artists need 250 followers to get verified?

Solved!

Why do artists need 250 followers to get verified?

Dear staff,
I was trying to understand the reason why spotify set a bar of 250 followers to start the verification process for artists. I mean, this mostly leads to lot of "follow me-follow back" threads and poor follow exchanges. I know it's more useful for the platform to have people struggling to reach this amount by sharing their profile around. But what's actually the reason behind that? How does this method assure a better verification?

30 Replies

I don't read Spanish and I like to be among the 1% of independent artists. I got enough order in my thoughts to know how I want my goals to be accomplished.

and by the way, I've never asked a strategy that help me out, I just wanted a single answer to a single question.
You said you don't have an exact answer for that, so for me this conversation could end there. I don't know why you keep defending an arbitrary choice made by Spotify, using my real name and pretend I speak Spanish (because Diego=Spain?).

There are lot of arbitrary things about this platform you know? Like considering 5 track albums like "singles" (as the 70s never happened).

I asked about one of this arbitrary choice.
No "Save time get listeners" answer please.

I quit this conversation because starts bothering me and, I assume, the rest of the community.

Happy to read that you have clarity about achieving your goals. Go ahead !

Happy to read that you have clarity about achieving your goals. Go ahead !

Hey @dttcc!

We have more info on this here: https://www.spotifyartists.com/faq/#why-do-i-need-to-have-250-followers-to-get-verified.

Hope this clears things up 🙂

Very interesting question. the problem I think is the separation of user and artist accounts. Cause when I want to share or sync anything on the internet with my spotify profile it only syncs to my user account and not my artist account.

I mean sharing the song is one thing, but getting people to go on the artist profile page and clicking "follow" is another. That's where I'm stuck with - > and i think if Spotify just allowed us to merge both accounts it would make things easier as it would allow us to control it better...getting to that 250 mark and making it easier to create playlists and attract listeners through our musical curation as well.

Anyways, just a thought.

Here's my Spotify artist page: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2vBLznqVIEFTrtZZ04vsES

Follow me

@jonny808 hi Jon, I am not wure if i understand the problem, since... to count 250, both profile and artist account, summed up, are considered. That's what I remember at least. Things change over time, of course.

jm

Hi Jim, I’ve been trying to contact artist services regarding this but I haven’t received a reply in over 2 months. I just wish to be able to combien both accounts and create playlists under my artist profile to share with the world.
If you have any advice on this it would be great, cause Spotify Artist support is no help at all.
Thx 🙂
Follow me

Hi, im new to spotify's artist account and was just curious how people manage to get 250 followers?! I don't have the greatest fanbase but I'm pretty sure there are tricks to hitting that 250 mark. Hope I can get some tips for that 🙂 https://open.spotify.com/artist/6WIVaaNReFZellfLxyPeMQ
Marked as solution

Hey everyone,

Good news!

You no longer need 250 followers to get verified.

Spotify for Artists is available for all artists and their management teams. Once you get access to Spotfify for Artists you will be verified. 

https://artists.spotify.com/blog/simplifying-artist-verification

Right now there is very high traffic to this newly updated artists site, so you might see an error when loading it. Keep checking back later.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Well this is great to hear. I've just recently posted my first album on Spotify and this was a hurdle causing me some issues. Of course, the bigger problem still persists - if you are an unknown, independent artist, what is the best pathway to getting followers and getting on playlists (assuming  your stuff is good enough that is).

My first post by the way if anyone happens to read this. Cheers. 

Suggested posts