Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

a theory on spotty download speeds

a theory on spotty download speeds

Plan

Premium

Country

usa

Device

Mac mini (2018)

Operating System

10.15.7 (19H1519) catalina

My Question or Issue

i have a theory on why the downloads will start off fast like several downloads happen then it will stall and be stuck on a number for a while then start up and stall again and repeat .

when you add songs from for example from all out of a genre then you go into the next playlist rock anthems and add all then go to the dance hits and so on even through the individual years of a decade for example and despite you clicking only add new songs or dont add if you lost your place and accidently re add from the same playlist.

you get duplicates sometimes 3 or 4 copies of a song.

then when you go to download the stalling i suspect is where when spotify detects a song by the same name it goes on to hash and other algorithms are performed that slows down the process as it has to check each redundant copy.

a suggestion:  maybe you may want to whitelist all the duplicates and not hash them  and not check for duplicates upon download but rather allow duplicates to get through and let the user manually skim through their playlists and remove duplicates or when you rip the content to add to spotify you do the duplicate and manual checks before adding the songs and maybe remove songs from the artist's albums that are the same on their greatest hits album for example.

because this morning i downloaded over 2000 songs and it took several hours to download at full quality despite that i have a 500 meg connection it should have taken maybe 30 minutes or less

0 Replies

Suggested posts