Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

"Related artists" - how do Spotify decide what artists are related to a specific artist?

"Related artists" - how do Spotify decide what artists are related to a specific artist?

Spotify has a number of great features - (I love the "show lyrics" feature, by the way).

I would like to know how the "related artists" works: What - or who determines what artists are related to one another? What if I find an artist whom I find has much more resemblance to another artist, but this artist does not figure under "related artists"? Is there someone I can write to in order to suggest related artists are these lists automatically generated?

Thank you for a great service,

Terkel

Top Answer
MattSuda
Spotify Star

Hey @Terkel_Mohl 

Spotify has a new article that goes into detail on how Fans Also Like (previously called Related Artists) works and how the artists are chosen to be displayed.

Check it out: https://artists.spotify.com/blog/how-fans-also-like-works

42 Replies

Yeah I read that article too. The problem is that they KNOW what GENRE to put you in because look at your daily mixes! For me, they are SPOT ON! Why can't they use the same processes for relating artists? If the issue is audience size then place artists together in the same genre with a similar number of listeners! The way they are doing this is totally off! I watched a seminar by Spotify telling us how they use machine learning, neural networks and sound frequency to determine your genre and where to place you with related artists. With all of those layers of calculations, you can't even get this right??? Believe me I tried all of their suggestions and then some!  I see from the beginning of this thread that it's been 3 years and they still won't fix this? 

Yeah, I think the problem started when they moved away from Collaborative filtering, which is what they use for their recommendation engine to this new convoluted system that tracks related artists based on others listening habits. Not only is it inaccurate for artists, but creepily intrusive for listeners. 

i will follow this, also i love the vibe. follow mine please 🙂

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7gHITXabX5pI05wiJirlPP?si=wcAO0umCSeyPQANEszZUWA

Suggested posts