"This is:" Playlists

5 people liked this

"This is:" Playlists

joshnsolomon

So I spend a lot of time in Spotify listening "This is" playlists. For those who don't know, often times when you go to the search bar, once you type in the artist's name a playlist will show up called This is Justin Bieber. 

I have been listening to a lot of these playlists, specifically for jazz musicians, and I have a lot of issues with the way that they are set up. The playlists are marketed as being "the essential tracks, all in one location." However, the selected tracks are often not the essential ones. For instance, on the "This is Duke Ellington" playlist there is the solo piano version of Take The A Train. Now, any Duke Ellington fan knows that the whole point of his music is that it is to be listened to in a big band setting.

I assume that the playlists are created using an algorithm, probably implemented with some sort of machine learning to factor in play frequency. However, when constructing a playlist to function as the introduction to an artist, there is no substituting a real human with a real understanding of the music. Furthermore, the creation of a bad playlist that shows up first in a search would lead to people listing to bad songs, and neglecting the bad songs, even disregarding the artist entirely.  Spotify has an enormous amount of power over what people listen to, and it's important they get it right.  

I get that there are tons of these playlists and understand that there is probably not that much human capital available internally. However, you have an enormous listener base and I'm sure there could be some way to utilize them without causing too much chaos. And also hey, I could just make great playlists for you for all the major jazz artists! You wouldn't even have to give me a job. 

6 Replies

Re: "This is:" Playlists

krankenstein
Roadie

I agree.

I'm not sure whether they've been computer generated or 'curated' by a person who doesn't know the band. Would be much better if they did a lot more research before they put them together. Why not consult someone who knows their music well as opposed to someone who doesn't know much about the artist/band... 

housepilgrim
Casual Listener

Totally agree. I would have the bands themselves pick the "best and most recent of" or at the very least prioritise those songs which appear on multiple compliation albums. 

1 person liked this

Funkopedia

For each artist they have ,they should contact the user that has the most listens to compile the list.

krankenstein
Roadie

Rather than choosing just 1 individual, they could get multiple users to vote for their favourites from a particular artist. My favourite songs are not necessarily the ones with the highest playcount as I might be listening to mp3s which won't show in their stats. The most popular songs are not always the best tracks either as I've found B-sides that are absolutely gems.

swzoo7777
Casual Listener

In the 'This Is' playlist that has been compiled for me there are obviously the popular ones, and the latest ones..but the rest of the playlist seems to concentrate on the softer side of my music..(OK I get it I think, some of it's a bit hectic, maybe it frazzled-up their data checkers!)  Sal Paradise  

https://spoti.fi/2zPSVuy

Highlighted
1 person liked this

pedantique

Why are some called "This Is" (withou the colon) and others called "This Is:" (with the colon)?

SUGGESTED POSTS