Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Albums start over from the beginning before finishing the album

Albums start over from the beginning before finishing the album

I've noticed a problem recently where I will play an album and I will randomly hear the first song again. This will lead me to check Spotify and realize that the album started over even though it hadn't finished yet (and I have both repeat and shuffle turned off). If I don't click a song further down the album to return to my original position it will attempt to replay the whole album again. The only thing I've noticed is if I look at the Queue it will show the album is about to start over. I can't find any other posts talking about this but it has happened to me at least 4 times over the last few days or so.

5 Replies

Hi.

First you can check if disabling Hardware Acceleration fixes your issue. Can be done under View, and also in Edit > Preferances... > SHOW ADVANCED SETTINGS.

If that won't work I recommend a "clean installation".

Here's a guide to do it, may differ a bit (I'm on Windows 10)

Uninstall Spotify.

Go to "C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage" and delete everything inside the folder.

Also delete the folder "C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Users\<random numbers-user>\"

Reinstall.

Here's installer that should contain a full version of Spotify for Windows:
http://download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe

This seems to be a bug that has been introduced with a recent update (I'm on v1.0.45.186). It's not related to hardware acceleration, and reinstallation doesn't fix it. I only encountered it in the desktop clients (Windows, Mac, Linux) but not on Android. The bug seems to occasionally cause the client to "forget" the current position when playing a release.

Although it also seems to happen randomly without any user interaction, I have found a way to reliably reproduce the issue:

1. Start playback of a multi-track release/album by double-clicking a track. The currently playing track will be shown as green and have the speaker icon.
  2. Open the release page of a different release/album.
    • If you switch to the Play Queue view now, you will still see it correctly queuing up the next tracks following the currently playing one.
  3. Switch back to the release page of the release/album you started to play. The currently playing track will no longer be coloured green, nor display the speaker icon.
    • If you switch to the Play Queue view again now, you will see that the Up Next portion will show the entire album from the beginning again, so as soon as the currently playing track is finished, playback will continue at the beginning of the release again.

Here's a screencast:

I have the exact same problem on Linux and I'm glad it's not platform specific, because this way it might actually get fixed!
Been driving me mad for a few weeks now becuse I seem to trigger it with almost every album I play. Please fix this.

Having this very same problem with my playlists. If i start a number somewhere halfway, and it is finished, the playlist will start over from the start ...
It seems to happen only when streaming to Chromecast (using android)

Same problem here. Seems like it works better if you "do it manually", mark all the songs (in the playlist in my case) and then right click and "add to queue".

Suggested posts