Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Black Screen within the Program (Win 7)

Solved!

Black Screen within the Program (Win 7)

Hey, Spotify has been working good for a couple of months now but a couple of days ago it stopped working.

-I can still play music but Stuff like: "Follow, Messages, App Finder, Radio, TuneWiki" it is all black.

-Today it also stopped loading most of my plalists. It just says loading.

Attached is a screenshot what my blackscreen looks like.

I think the problem started after the last update. I tried to put back on the old version, didnt change anything. I am back to the newest version now.

Any ideas?

spotify.JPG

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Do the steps in this post help at all? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

The share popup thing was sorted for another windows user with the switch  "--disable-accelerated-layers" so maybe try that first.

Marked as solution

Actually, for some reason, I right-clicked on the Spotify icon on my screen, opened 'Properties', clicked on the 'Compatability' tab, and had to rechose the Windows version that i presently am using. It was switched or a default setting and it all started to work again now. That's a bit TOO simple in comparison to all the other steps we had to take previously.

Marked as solution

What worked for me was to make sure Spotify was set to "Run as Administrator." It then worked without a hitch.

30 Replies

I confirm the same situation on my Windows 7 machine. My version is the 0.9.1.57.

My version is 0.9.4.169 and I'm having the same problem too.

Hey guys 🙂 

Would you guys be able to try a full clean reinstallation of the client and see if that helps? 

Peter

Peter

I did that and it worked properly once, but then it came back to this state.

Did the clean install it all worked well again...until the next reboot...back to **bleep**ty again.

dont really wanna reinstall the program new everytime I reboot my computer.

I have the same problem, and a clean reinstall don't works...

What can I do?

Would you guys be able to try updating your graphics card drivers? 

We have seen reports of that fixing blank screen issues for some people. 

Peter

Peter

Dunno why, but after doing nothing today, my Spotify started working correctly again.

Hello, 

i have the same problem on Windows 8. I remove and install spotify again. It works good only for a while and black screen come back.

Any ideas?

Same problem, only on Discovery and the playlists I use the most. Spotify please address this. Discovery made finding new similiar music so much easier.

Hello! Today I started to get the same issues -  see black zone within spotify windows in "Follow", "Messages", "App finder" and "Radio" tabs. And that track position slider on the bottom does not move, but the song plays, and track seeking works - just position dot does not move. Tried clean reinstall - does not helped.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: VGA driver update and HW acceleration disabling within options and with startup switches did not solved problem.

hey i'm having this problem too.. it makes the experience so bad... radio and discovery is all black screen...

It was working previously.. just become dark screen now.. 

please help

I'm getting the same issues here. Also getting the 'black' screen on the popup/hover menu when you try to share a track (right click song -> press share)

Version 0.9.4.185

Marked as solution

Do the steps in this post help at all? 

Peter

Peter

Marked as solution

The share popup thing was sorted for another windows user with the switch  "--disable-accelerated-layers" so maybe try that first.

it works! thank you very much!!

Just having this problem with version 9.8. I am running windows 7. It happened all the sudden and I tried the fix posted before.

Confirmed as fixing my issue as well.

"--disable-accelerated-layers" works perfectly... now we need a flag to get our stars back and a flag to revert back to the original UI. ~_~

Just as added info, this is on a Thinkpad T530 (Win7 x64) w/ a dual GPU setup: Intel HD 4000/NVidia NVS 5400M (and forcing Spotify to either GPU still resulted in the same issue, FYI)

Thanks, it worked

Suggested posts