Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Blank Black Screen after Sept. 2017 New Update

Solved!

Blank Black Screen after Sept. 2017 New Update

I updated when prompted to this morning and now I cant use my desktop app. I've tried restarting my computer, clean uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and all the solutions I could find on previous posts.

I have turned Harware acceleration off, compatability mode is off, and I have tried the %APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background "solution." Could someone please help? 

If nothing else, is there a way for me to return to the last version before this update that messed it all up?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The bug is still present for me.

Moving the spotify folder from my server profile on the local disk seems to work as a workaround, the problem itself still isnt fixed tho (already got 2 updates installed and its still broken).

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I tried all the suggested solutions, then noticed that the Spotify installation was located in this area of the file system:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Spotify

This got me wondering if it was a permissions "thing" with the app trying to run from what is essentially a better-protected section of the file system.

I copied the Spotify folder from there to

C:\Program Files (x86)\ 

then made a new desktop shortcut pointing to spotify.exe in that location. Everything now works fine. 

I hope this helps people who are still looking for a fix. I realise that fixing the permissions for the program would be the "proper" solution, but I can't be bothered trying to work out where the conflict lies. If anyone wants to investigate, then fair play to them...

View solution in original post

32 Replies

Was also having the same problem following the update. Uninstalling and reinstalling seems to have resolved the issue as of right now. Hopefully this situation is resolved for you soon as well.

This is not a solution to my problem. As I already stated, I already tried to restart the computer and program multiple times. Please read the original message before stating that the problem has been solved. 

Related Issue:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Spotify-blank-screen/td-p/1937039

It seems it is neither fixed by reinstalling several times nor by adding startup params.

As i already wrote in the other post: i recently tried to install spotify on a factory-fresh windows 10 pro and the same bug appears.

I have contacted spotify and they were not able to find a solution when we were talking, but they said they would get back to me by tommorrow hopefully. If they find a solution, I will post it here. 

i have this on 2 windows 10 mashines (surface and custom desktop) on different update states (tablet on windows insider builds)

looking at event history, there are actually spotify crashes.

it has an memory violation.

i have attached a crashdump and heap dump to this answer.

in the text file "WinDBG (analyze -v).txt" contains the analyze output of the crashdump.

https://puu.sh/xtf27/bb17f5d7b2.zip (to large to atatch it)

in the other old blackscreen thread "decimatord" suggested to to use compatibility mode -> windows 7

worked for me. but still, its not the best solution.

I'm having the same probelm on my Surface Pro, just a blank Black screen...  Hope spotify comes up with a solution soon....

Seab

Hey,

I just had this issue, fixed it by:

Right click spotify shortcut

Click Properties

Click Compatibility

Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7

Hardware acceleration is turned off for me

Give it a go 🙂 

Cheers.

Hey, compatibility mode fixed it for me. Maybe not the best but it gets it running... better than a kick in the knackers i guess.

Marked as solution

The bug is still present for me.

Moving the spotify folder from my server profile on the local disk seems to work as a workaround, the problem itself still isnt fixed tho (already got 2 updates installed and its still broken).

still facing the same issue.

if i login with an Admin account, spotify works.

If i login with my windows 10 enterprise account (limited account) i use admin credential to run the exe and i get a black screen as everyone else.

In the past, the above process used to work just fine.

what happened?

I have spoken with spotify and they managed to get it working by letting me download the previous version of the app from here: http://upgrade.spotify.com/upgrade/client/win32-x86/spotify_installer-1.0.7.157.g2a6526f9-88.exe

It worked for me. 

Nicer21's work around works for me, I tried a number of different user accounts ranging from user to poweruser to domain admin and it still wouldn't run, moving it to my local machine and if by magic it works fine, clearly something has changed in spotify recently.

excuse my ignorance, but i would like to understand how Nicer21's solution works.

I use a domain account, which has restricted privilages in executing .exe files. When i install spotify from a local administrator account, it gets installed under C:\users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Spotify. So i don't understand the step on how you move the install location from "server" to "local", as to my understanding spotify is being installed locally.

when i run spotify through my domain account (right click, run as an administrator) and enter the local account credentials, i get the black screen everyone gets (it used to work before the latest update). 

If i login with the local administrator account, spotify works as should.

the problem is that since this is a company computer, i cannot be "using" the administrator account to login to my windows, so running spotify with right click and using administrator credentials was the optimum solution for me (until it stopped working)

thoughts?

thanks!!!!

by using group policy with in the windows domain or even through AD profile setting you can tell windows where to store the users profile, so for me all user profile loacltions are \\servername\users\username\ and this is where the likes of appdata is stored too etc so in effect I have the ability to log on to any machine with in the network that's joined to the domain an all my profile settings etc are applyed to that machine I log in to and thats the beauty of a roaming profile.

Thank you so much bmwenger42

for the solution...  It worked for me as well... Don't know what the deal with the updated app was but I hope Spotify resolves it...
Seab

Yeah today i goot the same error... 
Good to be back to "1.0.7.157.g2a6526f9" 
hopes that spotify can stop realising those foulty updates... 

Downloading and loading the previous version from this link you provided worked for me.  The older version functions although likely short term as it will want to update to newer versions.  Thank you for the information.

I've just tried this version and great it works but I can't control the play list from the pc and playing on another device so this isn't a solution so back to running spotify from a local drive that isn't the default install location.

Suggested posts