Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't drag and drop songs into playlists

Can't drag and drop songs into playlists

I don't know exaclty when this started happening, but I was used to drag and drop a song into my playlists with no problem in my Spotify app for Mac, now I just can't. The only way I manage to include a song into my playlist is by right click > add to playlist.

Another bug related is that I can't reorganize my playlist by dragging up and down. I like to keep them organized by alphabetical order, but now I can't manage their positions into my playlist lists.

Does anyone have a solution?

17 Replies

Hi there @fecoporto, here is a helppage for fixing your drag & drop in playlists 🙂

Thanks for being a part of the Spotify Community!

This isn't the right solution

I have the same problem! so unlogically to change drag/drop function, why@spotify? I havent found a good workaround.. spotify please help out, thnx

This "solution" has nothing to do with my complain. I know how to REORDER my playlist. The problem that occours to me is that, in MAC desktop app, I simply can't DRAG and DROP a song inside my playlists. The ONLY way to add a song to my playlist is by right clicking > add to playlist > playlist name. This is a pain in the a**!

Still bugged here, while in Windows desktop app it works fine.

It sounds like we have the same problem - I can't drag and drop any songs that I search on Spotify into my playlists and I'm using the Mac desktop version.  Really frustrating and will welcome any help!

I had this problem today and found out if you change the playlist from public to private or private to public and back again the Drag and Drop works. 

This works. Cheers.

I have this problem too on one of my Win10 PC computers since a few weeks.

My laptop works just fine running the latest Spotify version on both.

So it has nothing to do with running a **bleep** version of Spotify. 

For instance. I can not drag & drop an album, can not drag and drop single songs, nor can I rearrange songs inside a playlist. But still fully possible on my laptop.

Can not figure out what has happened at all and been trying to do so for several days.

Making a playlist public or private has nothing to do with this.

Tried reinstalling Spotify several times too.

I suspect a setting in Windows but can not find anything. Do not want to reinstall wondows, I'ts a pain.. Tried reinstalling antivirus Norton, did not work. Did not have a restore point saved more than a month ago so can't revert to an earlier point of Windows.

Frustrating is the right word..

Hi @arcticdesert, looks like other users on Windows are having the same functionality issues with drag and drop. Pulled this thread from a search of the Spotify Community, might be useful to you? Hope that helps!

Problem solved. Well it was time to buy a new computer and did a complete reinstall of everything! Now it's back to normal and everything is working like before. Dragging and dropping songs to playlists, rearranging songs within playlists. All is working again.

So to be clear, what version of Spotify you are running is not the issue.

I suspect something changed in a windows setting, probably after an extended scanning with Norton Security & applying the suggested actions. It did not help uninstall/reinstall Norton since that did not return the settings to before. And I had no restore point saved that long back in time to test and restore the system to see if it worked. 

But since my laptop worked without any problems this is my conclusion.

Hope this helps at least someone 🙂

Also!.. I have learned that Spotify ONLY allows for 'saving' a total of 10.000 songs, after that you will have to add the albums you want to save as playlists, which totally really bad (I have more original CDs at home and no problem storing it, so Spotify ofcourse should have NO limits storing into the cloud, really bad)! But at least Spotify will notify when your limit is reached!

AND also, when saving playlists in Folders, there is a limit for this too! You can drag/add songs/albums/playlists to your folder but then when it's full, you will NOT get a promt that it is, it will simply not save it at all. The solution to this is to simply make another folder and to start adding to this one instead!

Best regards //Jon 🙂

Spotify didn't notify me when I reached my limit of songs, nor did I even know that was a thing. All I know is I one day about three months ago I woke up and suddenly I couldn't curate my playlists. I couldn't drag and drop songs into existing playlists, nor can I change the order of songs within a playlist. 

I went through the whole support process with them - killed my old account, opened a new one, and reinstalled the app. It worked while I was on the chat with Support, but literally the next day it stopped working again.

I was digging Spotify for quite some time, but this random removal/bugginess of a pretty major function is annoying as **bleep**, especially given that is a pretty big aspect of how I use Spotify. Seriously considering going back to iTunes.

That thread is about a different issue. It's about dragging local files into a playlist. It explains that you can no longer drag files directly from your desktop. The issue here is that tracks sometimes cannot be dragged from within Spotify. Example, you find a song in a Spotify search or in another Spotify playlist and try to drag it into one of your own playlists but your playlist won't accept it. You'll get a prohibited icon. If you try to add it through a right-click, it will appear to work but won't actually be in the playlist when you check it.

Hello,
Anyone still got this issue? Please let me know if you need help.

I just got this issue this morning on Windows 10. Can't drag songs into a playlist, nor change the order around. Any idea what is going on with it and how to fix? It's really annoying. 

Try making the folder private or public. Then change it back. That worked for me.

Didn't work for me.

Sometimes, I can drag individual songs, sometimes grous of songs. However, most of the time I cannot drag anything. Moving to anotherplaylist, the function works.

I notice that sometimes, whilst selecting, I get the "skip duplicate" warning. After this, dragging does not work.

Switching off Spotify and then restarting, sometimes works.At the end of the day, the program is not working as it once did.

I think I figured out the issue, or at least the issue that made me find this thread. 

Are you trying to drag and drop a song that is currently playing? If it's still playing, you can't drag it to a playlist. 

Here's how I use spotify and eventually fixed my problem:

1. Hear song I like, try to drag and drop to playlist. It doesn't work.
  2. Tried the switch playlist from public to private, didn't help.
  3. Dragged next song in queue to playlist and it worked. Thought maybe a specific artist or song had some special "no playlist" rights.
  4. Tried another song from that artist. That worked.
  5. Tried original song that wouldn't drag and drop again. That finally worked now that it wasn't currently playing. 

Hope this helps. 

Suggested posts