Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play current track?

Solved!

Can't play current track?

Keep getting 'Can't play current track' message randomly when I am listening to music. Stops my playlists dead (as in does not skip to the next tune) and also someitmes tunes that dont work one minute work the next. Becoming very frustrating, don't understand why this is happening. 

I am premium member.

221 Replies

I tried Apple Music - lucky for Spotify that Apple Music is still really clunky.  Spotify's catalog also seems more broad, at least for the genres I enjoy.  I really do like Spotify's service - they just need to get their **bleep** together with the Windows client.  Guessing the user base for that segment is simply under their radar.

I can't find the edit button

i cant find the edit button

Log off, switch your Spotify off, turn it back on, log back in, it worked for me.

EDIT:  STILL HAVING THIS ISSUE AFTER EVERY SONG!!!!!

thanks for the 5 options but it didn't seem to work for me.

I receintly became a Premium member but that was a week or so ago so that shouldn't effect it. 

I can play music on my iPhone, but when i choose to listen on the Mac i get the Can't play message. 

I have:

REinstalled,

REstarted,

skipped dozens of tracks,

UNselected high quality stream,

Removed all the Offline tracks, 

Radio

Local

Turns out when you have a SoftPhone (VoIP) you need to have mulity-Output Devices (Built-in Output + your headset)

This can pose problems. 

Deleting (-) and Adding (+) it back in can also fix the problem. 

Good Luck 

Youre awesome

This message keeps popping up for EVERY song I keep choosing to play on my mac. Its quite annoying! I signed up for a premium membership hoping for a better service, would appriciate if this could be fixed soon!!

@jackocnr wrote:

Exactly the same problem for me. None of the solutions worked for me (or if they did it was a one-off).

I finally found a way to instantly fix the problem every time: I also have Spotify on my Android phone, and when it doesn't work playing something on my laptop, I tell it to switch to playing on my Android phone (see Devices Available section at bottom of Spotify desktop), so the music is actually playing on my phone, then restart Spotify on my computer, then tell it to switch to playing on my computer again, and this time it always works! Hope that helps someone.

Does not work for me.  "This song is not available."

Very annoying; but this keeps happening to me for no apparent reason! Was tipped to go to edit and uncheck everything, but this did not help.. I have a premiar membership. What to do??

That fixed it for me, I just went to my headset's settings went to enhancments and disabled them all and it immediatly worked. Thanks!

I had this problem as well. I tried the solutions, from this thread:

- Uncheck all options under 'Preferences' >> 'Local files'

- Uncheck 'High quality streaming'

... But it still occured. I had the playlist downloaded, so if was available offline, but it still did it. Hmm! 

I was on the school network (University of Bergen - which is Eduroam) - which has some more powerful authentication-methods, but I don't know if that makes a difference or not. 

I tried forcing Spotify in offline-mode (by going to 'Spotify' >> 'Offline mode'), and that STILL GAVE THE ERROR!! What the... I can listen to one song, and then it gives me the error. If I click 'Next song', then nothing happens. But if I double-click the same playlist (that I'm currently playing), in the panel on the left, then it starts playing a new song.

I have no idea what's going on. 

I then tried opening Spotify with sudo from the terminal, by writing this:

sudo open /Applications/Spotify.app/

... But the same thing occurs. I'm still having this problem. 

Premium user, turned off high-quality streaming, turned off all options under local files.  Still can't play anything.

i am also having the same problem. started about 1 day ago. have you found a solution?

If spotify wants to lose a client, they are doing it right

Hey @bonage,

Try a clean reinstall:

Log out of Spotify and then close the program.

Uninstall

Browse to the cache. The default location should be C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage and delete everything inside the folder.

Delete the folder C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Users\<random numbers-user>\ There is a folder for each profile that has been logged into Spotify on that computer account.

Reinstall.

Hopefully that'll fix the issue.

Also, the issue might appear while using headphones, usb or bluetooth speakers. Try unplugging them out and back in. Hopefully that'll fix it.

If not, this issue is being looked into in this thread. You should post there if you want to be in the loop of further developments.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I am wondering why spotify employ buggy programmers. I have also encountered a lot of issues which suppose to be solved, already. When I check offline mode in PC, it stop playing and pop-up 'Can't play current track'. Also, I can't search my songs while I am offline. In my phone, spotify crashes everytime I open. I found out I am not the only one who had encountered thousands of bugs. Fire all those freaking lazy programmers, and hire genius programmers. I'm premium user, and I really disappoint on spotify app development, but I really love spotify platform. I hope spotify may develope more than I expect.

This should be a top solution. Found this as an issue on a few of my devices and depending on the audio device a restart of the external audio card or update driver fixes the problem. 

Marked as solution

Try installing the new update. Worked for me.

Do this to correct problem:

# 1. Add Signature key
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys BBEBDCB318AD50EC6865090613B00F1FD2C19886 # 2. Add the Spotify repository echo deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list # 3. Update list of available packages sudo apt-get update

time and money Spotify. premium user. working on my phone, not on pc - cutting out (can't play song / track) or barely playing at all !! windows 10, brand new device that every other app works on. the "best" for music listening ... please fix this or if anyone has a simple solution. tried all the "solutions". thank you  

Suggested posts