Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play current track?

Solved!

Can't play current track?

Keep getting 'Can't play current track' message randomly when I am listening to music. Stops my playlists dead (as in does not skip to the next tune) and also someitmes tunes that dont work one minute work the next. Becoming very frustrating, don't understand why this is happening. 

I am premium member.

221 Replies

@TTJJ wrote:

nope that didn't work

Strange, do you have that track stored as an mp3 or another format of file on your computers hard drive anywhere? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

nope

Can you try:

- Turning off "Enable Hardware Acceleration" in Edit > Preferences.

- Manually deleteing the Spotify cache folder (with the client closed) which is specified in Edit > Preferences > Cache

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

ive tried all that, it doesn't work

Manually deleting the spotify cache folder is working.

Of topic: I hate Windows. Every single time I start the computer a new problem occurs. Mac is much better. No problems!

v0.9.10.14

Playing some old tunes, this is my first time ever encounter this problem. Remove spotify cache and hardware acc trick didn't work for me

Nightwish – Bye Bye Beautiful - DJ Orkidea Remix

Odd thing it first says "There is a problem with the connection to Spotify...[something] (802)", plays the tune for a sec or two and then stops with "Can't play..."

I'll might try other computers and tunes later and we'll see if any pattern arise

EDIT:

Fount out that I could play that song from Nightwish album or searching for it and then put it my playlist but the one I had in my playlist (same song) refuse to play mor than two sec.

Isn't this the same song?

Nightwish – Bye Bye Beautiful - DJ Orkidea Remix

Problem solved, for now

I noticed the same problem about a week ago, and removing hardware acceleration or deleting cache didn't work for me either. Finding the song via the search function didnt fix the issue in my case.

Example songs:
Skee-Lo – I Wish
Ultravox – Reap the Wild Wind
Ultravox – Dancing With Tears In My Eyes
Ultravox – The Voice - Edit

Edit: 
Searching for the music and playing did in fact work (I just couldn't press the album name in my playlists and play it from there). Although it is very annoying having to manually replace music like this 😕

I have the same problem with lots of music. Strangely they work if go to the web-player.

For example...

The Haunted – Revolver

Newest Client, have cleared cache, no hardware acceleration.

THIS SUCKS!

This has been constantly happening to me too. Using mac client, premium.

Death From Above 1979 – Turn It Out

Ty Segall – Go Home

Ty Segall – Pretty Baby (You're So Ugly)

Ty Segall – Finger

YES! I figured it out. After turning off hardware acceleration, try setting your proxy settings under preferences to "No Proxy" that seemed to work for me anyways. Hope that helps!

@YoImaNinja wrote:

YES! I figured it out. After turning off hardware acceleration, try setting your proxy settings under preferences to "No Proxy" that seemed to work for me anyways. Hope that helps!

Are you sure this wasn't a coincidence? Im still having issues with multiple tracks despite disabling hardware acceleration and proxy. I haven't had time to do any real troubleshooting, but it seems to me the problem is either technical (client can't access the requested data from the spoticloud and fails), or these tracks are disabled due to unresolved copyright concerns.

Whatever it turns out to be, the client should fail gracefully and skip to the next track instead of hanging.

I'd love to see a moderator shed some light on this.

Cheers,

Marked as solution

I found a solution that worked for me! After reading through many of the suggestions here and elsewhere, this option finally did the trick:

Source: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Can-t-play-the-current-track/m-p/642284#M...

The fix for me was to go to Edit > Preferences > Local Files and uncheck everything. Fixed it immediately! I understand this might not be a workable solution for those using the Spotify client to listen to other music... but I suppose it's something.

@ksantamaria wrote:

I found a solution that worked for me! After reading through many of the suggestions here and elsewhere, this option finally did the trick:

Source: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Can-t-play-the-current-track/m-p/642284#M...

The fix for me was to go to Edit > Preferences > Local Files and uncheck everything. Fixed it immediately! I understand this might not be a workable solution for those using the Spotify client to listen to other music... but I suppose it's something.

Nice job, @ksantamaria!

This worked for me too. It looks like the client gets confused when you try playing tracks, which names correspond to names of previously imported and currently unavailable local files.

It's a big relief in some way, but this heavily limits usability of the client as a universal mp3 player...

This worked for me as well, unchecking everything under local files

For the record, this problem resolved itself on its own for me. I don't experience this anymore.

I am having an issue with some albums/songs on the desktop player (Mac OSX 10.8.5) giving me this message when I try to play them: 

Can't Play Current Track message

However, when I go to the web player they play just fine. Is it just that some albums aren't available for streaming on the desktop player? Any help would be appreciated.

Hey folks! As this issue is being talked about in a couple different threads we're closing this one and moving posts here: "After the latest update Spotify desktop doesn't play music anymore."

If you're still having trouble please let us know--we'll be investigating and gathering info there. Thanks!

Mine was doing this too.  I fixed it by going to Edit->Preferences->Uncheck High Quality Streaming

For me, I had a premium subscription and checked High Quality Streaming (which is a premium only option).  However, when my subscription ran out and I returned to a free user, it never unchecked High Quality Streaming automatically so it kept bugging out.

Marked as solution

This was my problem too. I had downgraded to free from Premium subscription, but still had "High Quality Streaming" checked. 

The "can't play" message popped up but didn't indicate why. Unchecking high quality option fixed it.

If you are having this problem, the best way to troubleshoot it is to email customer service at Support@spotify.com. They are currently trying to help me with the issue although we have yet to resolve it. 

It is helpful if you include screen shots of your Spotify account, let them know what version you are using, as well as what type of computer you are on. 

Suggested posts