Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Change Storage Location

Solved!

Change Storage Location

How do i change where offline playlists save to, my C drive is only a 129g SSD and haveing 20-30 gig of musc on a perfomance SSD is a waste of space and what not.

Iv moved the SPotfy install folder to another drve, but everything still downloads to Appdata local on C drve.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

You should be able to set the cache location by going to Edit > Preferences > Cache in the desktop client.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

With the latest update there are no Cache settings in the preferences.  A different approach is to move the Local\Spotify folder to the other drive.  Then create a Junction that points from the old location to the new location.  The directions for how to create a Junction is here.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/278262-mklink-create-use-links-windows.html

Here is a sample set of directions

Close Spotify.

Open a cmd window with Administrative priviledges.

mklink /j C:\Users\<Your user name>\AppData\Local\Spotify D:\Data\SpotifyLocal

If it succeeds you will see a message like this
Junction created for C:\Users\<Your user name>\AppData\Local\Spotify <<===>> D:\Data\SpotifyLocal

You can also do this with Roaming\Spotify.

Marked as solution

This is an awesome and very clean solution to this problem !

The actual detailed directions to make this work are :

1/ Close spotify (make sure it isn't just minimized)

2/ Copy the C:\Users\<Your user name>\AppData\Local\Spotify folder to another location, e.g. D:\Data\SpotifyLocal

3/ Remove the folder C:\Users\<Your user name>\AppData\Local\Spotify

4/ Open a cmd window with Administrative privileges

5/ Run command : "mklink /j C:\Users\<Your user name>\AppData\Local\Spotify D:\Data\SpotifyLocal"

6/ Make sure you get a success message

7/ Open Spotify, and enjoy your new storage location 🙂

Thanks a lot to Azriel_S for the great tip !

18 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

You should be able to set the cache location by going to Edit > Preferences > Cache in the desktop client.

Peter

Peter

After the latest upgrade the spotify client does not accept other storage location than the default one. Goes for both my PC's.

Anyone else that has the same problem?

Any idea why?

@Aqualunge wrote:

After the latest upgrade the spotify client does not accept other storage location than the default one. Goes for both my PC's.

Anyone else that has the same problem?

Any idea why?

It is a known bug in v0.9.0

Peter

Peter

i have the same problem with my pc. there is no space anymore  and i want to change the location. i did  edit-preferences but there is no cache title in there so could you please help me with that.

@kubicicek 

There is currently no option to change the location of the cache in the latest version.
Spotify plans to bring some features back, but it is currently not known if the feature you mentioned will be coming back.

If you want it back, add a kudo to this idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Restore-Cache-Location-Specification/idc-p/10679...

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Marked as solution

With the latest update there are no Cache settings in the preferences.  A different approach is to move the Local\Spotify folder to the other drive.  Then create a Junction that points from the old location to the new location.  The directions for how to create a Junction is here.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/278262-mklink-create-use-links-windows.html

Here is a sample set of directions

Close Spotify.

Open a cmd window with Administrative priviledges.

mklink /j C:\Users\<Your user name>\AppData\Local\Spotify D:\Data\SpotifyLocal

If it succeeds you will see a message like this
Junction created for C:\Users\<Your user name>\AppData\Local\Spotify <<===>> D:\Data\SpotifyLocal

You can also do this with Roaming\Spotify.

thank you
Marked as solution

This is an awesome and very clean solution to this problem !

The actual detailed directions to make this work are :

1/ Close spotify (make sure it isn't just minimized)

2/ Copy the C:\Users\<Your user name>\AppData\Local\Spotify folder to another location, e.g. D:\Data\SpotifyLocal

3/ Remove the folder C:\Users\<Your user name>\AppData\Local\Spotify

4/ Open a cmd window with Administrative privileges

5/ Run command : "mklink /j C:\Users\<Your user name>\AppData\Local\Spotify D:\Data\SpotifyLocal"

6/ Make sure you get a success message

7/ Open Spotify, and enjoy your new storage location 🙂

Thanks a lot to Azriel_S for the great tip !

Hi. It is possible do something like this on Android?

Hi,

What exactly do you mean with "do something like this on Android" ? Do you mean like be able to move your data from the move to an external storage (SD card) ?

If so I think you can go to your phone settings -> Apps -> click on Spotify app -> move to USB/external storage/SD card. Or at the same place you can just erase Spotify data, but then all your sync data will be lost and on next run Spotify will need to download all of your songs all over again !

Doesn't work. I already tried moving it to the SD card clearing the data and then re-downloading the playlists but it still keeps downloading them into the phone's Storage

It changed one folder, but the "data" one still exists occuping 6gb. What to do?

Hi,

I know it's a bit late but I think on Android you can go to settings-> apps-> Spotify and there you can move data to SD card if you have one... Havent tested as I have no SD card though

NOT WORK!!!!

Remember to make it show advanced settings

Installing on every start, I don't have that magical update folder that some people say to remove. Also I have seen it install itself in Appdata/Local and Appdata/Roaming. What next? To Program Files like all the other programs, or maybe bury itself in System32, altough it might not get permission to do so. Why is it so important to deny us the option to set the install location ourselves?

Thanks to the people who provided info for that mklink option!

This doesn't seem to work. I have made the changes in preferences to point downloads to my external hard drive but the cache still goes to the com.spotify.client / Data location within the local hard drive. 

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 6.19.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 6.20.22 PM.png

It's actually really simple (Desktop Download version)

Edit   ==> Preferences ==> Advanced Options ==> Offline Song Storage ==> Change Location ==> Storage Drive (make sure u have  an empty spotify folder) ==> Ok ==> Close then re-open spotify and it should be moved you can check  the folder to see the songs have moved. 🙂 hope this helped

Suggested posts