Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable Explicit Songs?

Solved!

Disable Explicit Songs?

Is it possible to tell spotify not to play any songs with explicit lyrics?  I like to play random playlists or spotify's top lists sometimes but don't like songs with explicit lyrics. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

587 Replies

I agree. I can only imagine that Spotify think that we want automatic **BLEEPS** when explicit words are use....

NOPE!

Just a setting that prevents songs marked as explicit being played, on a per user basis ideally, but lets keep it to baby steps.

I've tweeted https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares a few times since first posting, just pestering and pressuring, and had a human response each time - I'd urge you all to do the same.

I am currently enjoying 4 months free trial of Google Music.  There is a feature in the settings to "Block explicit songs in radio" but I havent tried it yet.

Not only is this service the same price as Spotify, but it also includes Youtube Red so no commercials on youtube videos.

Goodbye Spotify.

Done, fantastic work.

4 months trial activated, and as you say it'sexactly the same cost as Spotify $14.99 for 6 user family account.

Top work 😉

I can confirm that the feature on Google Play Music works!

To test it I turned the feature on in settings... then I went to "Top Songs" and scrolled down to find a song with "E"xplicit lyrics. I started the song playing then went into the song queue (butoon near search bar with 3 lines and a note symbol) to see what the next songs would be. It was full of "E" songs.  I then went back to the main page and clicked the 3 dot menu and chose "Start Radio".  The list went away and when it came back all the "E" songs were gone from the queue.

Thanks. Trying out Google music now. They have 2 months trial period now.

They have an exclusive section for KIDS. I find this very convenient. 

Browse Stations -> KIDS (Tab) -> Tweens / Family Fun

Link to 4 months below

Sign in, then go to subscribe...

Then...

Use this link... and hey presto.... 4 months

http://play.google.com/music/listen?coupon=120DFREE&coupontype=vanity&signup=1

You are awesome. That worked. Thank you so much.

Well I waited as long as I could! Goodbye Spotify. Subscription cancelled. Hello Google Play Music.
Thanks for the link above! Worked perfect.

My kids love the song "Cake by the Ocean" song played on the radio. I searched in the app and found out the hard way the album version has the F-bomb. The "Explicit" icon does not show up in the search results on the iPhone. And there's no easy way to find the clean version! (Try it and see for yourself.) Turns out there are two albums by DNCE, both by the same name, and one has explicit versions, and the other has the (two) clean tracks. The actual clean track is about two pages down in the search results with no indication it is different. You have to listen to find out. (Now saved to my "Kids" playlist so I won't have to go through that again.)

This one is baffling. So many comments here over the course of over FIVE YEARS. As everyone has already stated, with Spotify already having a visual tag of "Explicit" next to a song, it must indicate willful intent to prevent this filter. 

I want my children to get to enjoy so much great music and this is creating an unnecessary distraction that technology should make easy for us. 

Likely mentioned earlier, but just to repost:

Please vote this feature up! Surprised to see only 7,554 votes for this feature (as of this writing):

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Explicit-button/idi-p/3869

(Edit: You can't actually vote this up. I see how Spotify is handling this one. They have locked it. OK, this one is as good as dead. Looks like it's on to another music service if this one's important to you. It is to me.)

@dmpace wrote:

The "Explicit" icon does not show up in the search results on the iPhone. 

As everyone has already stated, with Spotify already having a visual tag of "Explicit" next to a song, it must indicate willful intent to prevent this filter. 

What you identified is the only reasonable explanation - Spotify knows that their explicit flag markers are incomplete and don't want to field the complaints.  

What they need in conjunction with the filter is a way to allow the community to report the missing flag.  I have to assume that's the work they don't want to do...

@innocuous_name wrote:

Spotify knows that their explicit flag markers are incomplete and don't want to field the complaints.  

I should point out that the "Explicit" tag that is not shown in the search results in the iOS app is actually present when I view the album. So, at least for my example (and most any other test I have found), their tag exists and is correctly placed. 

So while I acknowledge a "complete" solution would require community flagging as you suggest, to not offer making use of the existing metadata seems a bit... intentional. And I would not be surprised if an external service is already providing that "Explicit" tag. I doubt each music service is manually identifying tracks with adult language.

Have to agree with everyone here, why no parental option to 'hide' explicit songs?  What's the point of 'Spotify Family' (do you think they are all adults)!!! But really should we have to ask for such an obvious 'feature'!

When my subscription ends, if not sorted will look for another app that has this 'feature' - pity.

It won't be sorted. They entirely do not care. I like to go on Facebook
when they post stuff and make comments about this. It is the only recourse.
That and leaving altogether.

Spotify,

I've a family subscription, I've young kids.  Pretty soon this will be an issue for me.  If its is not solved I'm gone to Google Music.

Btw. this was brought to my attention by the lady who sits opposite me in work.  She has just left spotify for the exact same reason  (some Katie Perry song on her 9 year olds list).

I too just cancelled my subscription within the one month trial period because I can't have explict songs at work (university) or at home (kids). I have, like many others, shifted to Google Play Music - a pity, I liked the user interface. 

I just want to add that I am an adult with no kids, but work among professionals in a creative environment, where we want to put Spotify or Pandora on and cannot have explicit songs randomly coming up. We have clients in and out and plus I think it's unprofessional to push explicit music on everyone in the office - maybe a lot of people wouldn't be offended, but there are some that would be, so that is enough to say it would be really nice to be able to just automatically skip explicit songs so we can enjoy any playlist and not have to be running to change it once all these f-bombs, n-words, and sexual songs start blowing up the overhead speakers out of no where.

For a music streaming company that has been around for so long, I'm really surprised that there are no settings to control explicit music.  Seems like a gross oversight.

Not oversight, they are aware, they just don't care that this is important
to people.

Suggested posts