Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable Explicit Songs?

Solved!

Disable Explicit Songs?

Is it possible to tell spotify not to play any songs with explicit lyrics?  I like to play random playlists or spotify's top lists sometimes but don't like songs with explicit lyrics. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

587 Replies

Please mark this as NOT A SOLUTION. thank you.

Please add FILTER option for Explicit Songs !!!! Please !

going back to Pandora....and Spotify only allows one device at a time also so two people in the same house cannot use it

I agree, @Daraghfi, that giving the link to the IdeaPage is not "a solution" that will Disable explicit songs for you.

I believe, you can mark this suggestion as Not a solution by the following.

* >> Go to the solution page. <<

* Click on "Options" in the upper right of the SolutionWindow-- Then click on "Not a solution" in the dropdown.

Did that work, @Daraghfi?

(laughing)  Please notice that what I write here should not be marked as a "solution" to the Explicit_Issue either, would you agree?

@spothuston if both persons have their own account, you will be able to use them at the same time.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

It seems this has been a request/problem from the inception of Spotify. I can't understand why there is not yet a solution. Spotify-curated playlists open me up to new music that I would not have thought to add to my own playlists, but they also introduce songs that are not workplace-friendly. Even some of the "workplace-friendly" playlists have songs with explicit lyrics.

@mamajincrw

You're not alone.

Please kudo this idea and post there so they know people want an 'explicit' filter:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Explicit-button/idi-p/3869

osorniosSpotify Star

This issue was first requested in 2012.  It's disgraceful that Spotify haven't done anything about it.

I agree what's the problem. A formal response from Spotify would be valued.

I'm pretty tired of the lack of an explicit lyrics filter on spotify.  You hear things tossed around like it goes against the artists wishes, or it's not fair to censor artists.  I don't believe any of that for a second.  Artists claim they don't want their work censored, yet they'll ink deals to have movies shown on TV with bad language and explicit scenes taken out, and they're happy to have their music play on the radio with edited versions.  If there truly was "artistic integrity" then we wouldn't see them allowing FCC compliant edits made to their work.  They allow it because it's all about the dollar.

Instead of trying to force listeners to hear language they don't want to hear, allow us the opportunity to skip the song via a filter.  Since Spotify isn't interested in our concerns I've decided to cancel my paid subscriptions.  I encourage others to do the same.  It may not help overall, but I for one will not continue to pay for this unless my concerns are addressed.

To cancel you would go to https://www.spotify.com/us/account/subscription/ and click "cancel my subscription".  

@Spotify, feel free to add an explicit lyric feature and ask me to come back.  I'll ignore you as you ignored us for so long.

How hard it would be to just not show explicit songs if a user opts into an explicit filter feature?  What does Spotify mean by a family plan?

@momndad

The Family plan lets you get up to five separate Premium accounts with one discounted monthly subscription:

https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/guides/#!/article/spotify-family

osorniosSpotify Star

Great!, that's going to be such a weight off my mind, while they listen to
NWA

@pixelagent, 

My All my kids are under six, sure hope NWA is not something they are listening to, but if there were a filter, then at least they would not  be listening on Spotify.

When i looked up NWA on Spotify, they were marked as Explicit.

https://play.spotify.com/artist/4EnEZVjo3w1cwcQYePccay

It has been mentioned here before, but for those who may have missed it have you voted and added your comment to the Explicit Button thread?

You can go straight there by clicking here:

Explicit Button

Thanks for the link.
The explicit option should have there from the beginning. This will be a great addition to spotify and will only increase people using the service on a day to day basis. Personally I can't stand explicit lyrics especially having my kids around 80% of the time when using spotify.

Dear Spotify,
please enable the ability to prevent explicit material from being played.

Spotifys responses to my query regarding this.

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We appreciate your feedback.

Spotify does not censor music; we make it available in whatever form it’s given to us by the artists or labels. Often, they provide both an “explicit” and a “clean” version of an album.

To find all versions of an album:
Open the Spotify app on your computer.
Search for and open an album page.
If other versions are available, More Releases will show below the final track.
Don't worry, we’ll be sure to pass your suggestion on to the right folks here at Spotify.

We appreciate you adding this to our ideas board. Those who also support your idea can at least vote on it or add to the conversation.

We’ll keep everyone updated on the status of your idea. We can't say if or when any specific features will be implemented, but as soon as we’ve got anything to announce, we’ll let everyone know over on the Spotify Community.

Let us know if you have any more ideas or feedback.

If you have any further questions or anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

All the best,

Ace

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music" - Jimi Hendrix

Spotify Customer Support.

To which I replied

You are not being asked to censor music, you are being asked to give your subscribers the choice to filter explicit songs, if you select artist radio for example you can't stop the explicit version from playing so in a home or even office environment you can cause offence, having a simple 'do not play tracks marked as explicit' would solve this issue. I do not understand Spotify's reluctance to adding this option. Give people a choice, alot of them are paying for your service.

Their Response

Hello again,

Thanks for your getting back to us.

We're sorry to hear that the lack of this feature will prevent you from staying with us. Your feedback is important to us, and we need your help in determining the performance of anything we try out and currently have on the app.

We'll be sure to forward your comments to the right folks here at Spotify.

To which I reminded them this was requested 4 years ago and it is clear they have no intention to implement this Feature.

Why even bother posting the voting link? So someone can add to the 178+ pages of requests for that feature? Con artists string people along in exactly the same way. If they haven't fixed it after thousands of requests, guess what....they're not going to.

Follow the cancel link and vote with your cancellation of service. I've since signed up with Pandora and am enjoying great music at a lower price, without being forced to listen to obscene lyrics.

Suggested posts