Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable Explicit Songs?

Solved!

Disable Explicit Songs?

Is it possible to tell spotify not to play any songs with explicit lyrics?  I like to play random playlists or spotify's top lists sometimes but don't like songs with explicit lyrics. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

587 Replies

I think this is probably down to one thing: $$$MONEY$$$. As so much content has explicit lyrics, then disabling the playback of these means less money to the content providers, and they could be the ones with the power here, not so much Spotify. Spotify still need to satisfiy their customers, I won't go premium without this feature.

I finally got my Windows App to work to block Spotify Explicit songs. I'll have it ready in a month or so.

http://designful.ca/apps/spotify-playlist-manager/

Spotify has made it clear this is not happening. I'm just speculating, but one of their concerns may be that they do not want, under any circumstances, to be interpreted as a service that does not include music with explicit content. With accounts that are able to be set in such a manner where such music is not shown, then say a friend using someone's account might be turned off to the service by that fact, not knowing it is just being optionally filtered. Although that could be remedied with some marker that says "content filter enabled" or something to that effect. But I digress, it's not happening.

With the extreme competition in streaming media why hasn't Spotify given what thier customers are obviously wanting?  I can't share my family plan with my family.  Super dissapointing. I just signed up today.  I'm pretty sure I'll be canceling. 

Disappointing.  I'm going back to Pandora Premium. 

Our family will also need to find another option if there is not a "deny explicit lyrics" option on Spotify.

Totally agree.  I like to listen to music at work which is a high school.  Totally not okay to explicit lyrics coming out of my speaker!!!

Related question: Is it possible to disable showing the EXPLICIT marker next to the song? The Android UI is overloaded anyway and it just clutters even more and is an information I don't care about.

Horus... You might want to create a separate topic on that rather than
adding it to this conversation here...

If Samsung's Slacker radio can put an option to play "clean" versions why can't Spotify?!

I still would love this feature. 

I agree.  I know that Spotify is big about not censoring music, but really??? Even Netflix has come around.  I don't think this is as much about censoring as providing improved options for it's users.  It is not just a children issue.  I am an adult and I do not want to hear explicit lyrics.  Yes, you can choose the artists you listen too, but how about all those cool collections that are full of explicit lyrics.  Big fail in my book.  FYI everyon:  Pandora has explicit lyrics disabling capabilities.  Give them a try.

Pandora is only available in America unfortunately.
Sounds like a good option if you can get it though.

You can block songs and artists and explicit songs by using my free lightweight tool at https://www.trackskipper.com

My two 13 year old kids want Spotify but I will not allow them to have it until I, their parent, can block unwanted lyrics/language/genre. Kids are always going to "explore" without limits.  Spotify, please help us all protect our kids by offering parental controls. This is wayyy past due!

Doesn't work

The crazyness that I still can't filter this out. I want to play the music, I love the download features but I hate throwing on a Playlist and having to keep my phone open so I can skip the explicit **bleep**. 

What operating systems does it support?

Should work on 64 bit Windows 8.1 and 10. There's already a solution for Mac called Denied.

Please contact me if you need any help!

I can probably make it work on Windows 7 and 32 bit but currently don't have access to a a computer with that OS for testing. 

Suggested posts