Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable Explicit Songs?

Solved!

Disable Explicit Songs?

Is it possible to tell spotify not to play any songs with explicit lyrics?  I like to play random playlists or spotify's top lists sometimes but don't like songs with explicit lyrics. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

587 Replies

I generally use Andriod to stream.  To be completely honest, I'm not really interested in another tool that I need to install and manage.  The reason I love Spotify is that it is SO simple.  I love that I can click a single button to download music to my devices and stream so easily.

I simply want an option to filter out explicit music.  We have playlists for genres that allow me to listen to Folk music or 90s music etc.  Why not "non-explicit music"?  Come on Spotify...  Let's get this done.

How long, O Spotify, until you hear our pleas? To the thousands of you who have asked for this feature, you should know that Spotify has ignored this request for the past five years. And it will continue to ignore this request. It simply does not agree that your opinion matters on this issue. 

https://go.forrester.com/blogs/spotify-loves-me-spotify-hates-me-serving-todays-demanding-customer/

Absolutly agree. 

I have a family and the kids are just starting to get into music and you will get some random song in a playlist that has really harsh words for a 7 year old.

Spotify please sort this out because I am now reluctant to play suggested playlists.

Thanks

Looks like no result after years of people requesting this, ill be cancelling my subscription this week before i have to pay for another month.

Wow cannot belive spotify have not addressed this, this thread has been going on since 2014!!!!

We have a young family so wanted to do this, guess Spotify has been taking lessons in management from Uber and Microsoft.

Take money and don't care about customers.......

Will be cancelling my subscription.

I have been using the free version of Spotify for the past couple weeks. I have been really happy with usability and volume of music selection. I was just about to purchase a family premium account but the fact that Spotify is completely ignoring this thread tells me that this is not a company I want to support. There are plenty of valid reasons a person would want to filter explicit music and they all have been listed in this thread so I dont need to rehash them. Obvioulsy this company is concerned about retaining clients and could do it easily at least addressing this issue. Which is unfortunate and shows their true colors. 

I understand your fustration, it could be an issue with the records labels and not so much their true colors. Trust me, they're probably parents too. 

There are multiple solutions for playing clean music on Spotify. 1) Their's lists dedicated to clean music 2) there's apps that block it 3) there's third party plugins that help filter.

Which Operating system are you listening to Spotify on? PM me and I'll help you further

Windows 10. What recommendation do you have for filters/plugin, etc.?

I will also be cancelling my account.  The reason I have Spotify is for my young children to dance and listen to music.  Without this feature they will definitely not have my business.  I just began my premium subscription, but will be cancelling it and moving to Pandora or another platform that offers filters.

Add my name to the list of customers in disbelief this feature isnt avalaible.

This needs to get some media attention. - Anyone out there that can make that happen?

I saw one responce from spotify saying that it was more complex because not all songs come tagged as explicit - well ok, those songs that slip through can have their metadata corrected, I'll settle for having songs already tagged explicit filtered out which is probably the majority.

Note that Google Play has this feature and additionally a button to report incorrect metadata.

Crazy Spotify, I get using the app through Rogers. Unless this filter comes in I will not be your customer after my plan with Rogers is over!

I've developed an Android app that monitors what is playing in your Spotify premium and will skip the track if it is tagged as explicit.  It is now available for beta testing in the Google Play store.  Please DM me if you would like to help test it.IMG_20171020_211058.jpg

I agree! There needs to be the option!

Use the link and vote.  If there are only 9,611 of us who want this option, Spotify is not going to make the change.  Get to 100,000 or more and they may listen.  Spread the word and the link.

I got an email that this is the 'Solution' - to vote!  Nope, I disagree, the solution is a button to ignore explicit songs.

This should not be marked as 'Solved', could someone uncheck this please, I do not know how 😐

Thanks.

Hi,

What is the app called?

Thanks.

It's called Stopify.
www.getstopify.com

It's too bad the solution isn't just a simple button/setting in Spotify.
But clearly this isn't going to happen, they made that clear with 6 years
of ignoring everyone. We came up with another solution. We hope people like
the solution, as it took many months and hours to come up with it.

Already done.
In the lifetime of this issue, loads of things have been marked as the
solution.
Not sure if someone is doing it on purpose though as it is very easy to
accidentally 'mark as solution' on mobile.

Any solution that does not come from Spotify themselves with a toggle to play or hide songs marked as explicit, is NOT a solution, it is a workaround.

Suggested posts