Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable Explicit Songs?

Solved!

Disable Explicit Songs?

Is it possible to tell spotify not to play any songs with explicit lyrics?  I like to play random playlists or spotify's top lists sometimes but don't like songs with explicit lyrics. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

587 Replies

Incredibly weak stuff Spotify. I was anxious to jump ship from Napster/Rhapsody but this is ridiculous... as a test I created an iPhone restrictions profile that is pretty bullet-proof against other apps being explicit, but yours still successfully comes through with the full complement of f**k, b***h, and n-words.

Enjoy the dollar. After maybe an hour trial, I'm out. Next time someone at work tells me about how agile Spotify is, and how so many orgs are copying the "Spotify model", I'll be sure to point out that 5-6 years later there's still no explicit lyrics filter.

Excellent! Thank you for such a prompt reply! Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Would people PLEASE STOP MARKING POSTS IN THIS THREAD AS “THE SOLUTION”. Spotify aren’t even going to look at a thread that is marked as “Solved” which this one was. Engage your brains people!

This is a really important and necessary idea!

Another request for this feature (that is available on almost every other streaming service).

SPOTIFY, THIS IS ESSENTIAL, YOU HAVE A STRANGE THING OPTION, CENSORSHIP IS WAY MORE IMPORTANT!!

Add my vote to this request.  Is it even being considered?

Spotify! why aren't you listening, we just want to be able to block anything tagged 'EXPLICIT' it's not hard!! Clearly you just don't give a flying F**K you bunch of C***S.

Just ancelled my membership and signed up to Apple. 🙂

I refuse to pay money to a service that has "Family" Memberships without the ability to protect young children from explicit lyrics.

Spotify says: "It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard. This means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content"

Half of the charts has explicit content.  If you don't provide us with the features we want we take out money to Apple.  Simples.

Thanks for that link.  It seem clear to me of their intention and values are different and that they have no intention of letting us filter the content.  I wonder if authors would be turned off if they Spotify turned such a feature on and people could block them so easily.

This was my addition to the reply to spotify if it helps:

Hello/Good bye,

Being able to filter out unwanted material is the most important feature on an app or TV program that we look for.  When I set up new hardware like a smart Blueray or Roku, the first thing I do is turn on the filters for me and my family.  Who in their right mind would let EVERYONE AND ANYONE into their home.  Not wise or safe.  Not everyone out their has good intentions for you.  

Do you have a lock on your door?  Who is that for?  If you do lock your door, WHY? Aren't you filtering out certain people, or do feel safe enough to you leave the door open?

You have the choice to ignore this feature (as stated bellow), but when you do decide to include it, we will be happy to come back.  I like you app but feel like I just installed a door on the side of my house with no handle or lock and when I listen to many channels I find a stray dog, or worse has just come in again.

---------form letter I endorse ----------

<copy of form letter bellow>

Hey guys. Let’s build momentum with this and put pressure on Spotify. I’ve started a petition:

https://www.change.org/p/spotify-make-spotify-family-friendly-option-to-block-explicit-content?recru...

xx

I just signed and passed along to others! 

PLEASE add an option in Preferences that would disable or skip songs marked "Explicit" throughout the app. This should be easy; why wasn't it done years ago? I'm on the verge of cancelling my subscription.

Hey @Nicolapoppy @peregrinewolf @scybolt

Please vote for the following Idea, and add a comment there, so it may be considered. Any update on the matter should be posted there:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Explicit-button/idi-p/3869

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I switched to Spotify from Pandora and I'm considering going back to Pandora because I felt fine using it in the car around my kids and in my classroom when I'm working and I have a few kids working on homework. Can't do that with Spotify though.    You have all the songs with explicit lyrics marked already, I don't see how it would be that hard to write the code.  What's the hold-up?

I have tried so many apps for music... 

Its so frustrating, I run a barbers shop,

Which you would think would be ok.

Parents these days are so easily offended.

Ive literally just subscribed to Spotify!

I will be cancelling my membership if this isnt sorted soon, as im just having to use radio!

No Parental Controls for explicit content = Spotify will not be getting my money any longer.  Too bad because I love the application but I want better control over what I listen to and what my family is exposed to.  Hard to believe that Spotify doesn't deliver on the multiple requests on this topic...

Thank you everyone. I am out too. Simple, I just want the app to skip songs that are marked ‘explicit’

I listen with my children. We all love music. We do not swear in front of our children, why would we allow so called ‘artisits’ To do this?

utterly ridiculous.

What the **bleep**, Spotify?

This would be really helpful.  Maybe the world doesn't want filters, but it needs them.  It may not prevent the songs praising murder and rape from showing up, but 'most' of those have explicit lyrics.  If only we could filter for explicit ideas.

Suggested posts