Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable Explicit Songs?

Solved!

Disable Explicit Songs?

Is it possible to tell spotify not to play any songs with explicit lyrics?  I like to play random playlists or spotify's top lists sometimes but don't like songs with explicit lyrics. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

587 Replies

It's not just for little ears! I personally would rather not expose my ears to explicit music. Just like I'd rather search google with safe search on (it doesn't do a perfect job, but at least it's something).

Parental control would be another ball game because then they would have to ask people their ages and somehow keep the kids away from the controls. That would be a lot more coding than just having an option to turn off explicit songs in the account settings.

Well since they took down Grooveshark I'm back to using Spotify again, but before I will ever consider paying for this service, they MUST add an explicit feature. I just started another radio station for a Spanish language track, and one of the recommended stations was "The Orgasm How to Guide".  How is that even related to learning Spanish?!!

Seriously, Spotify, fix this issue. It would be a simple code change and if you made it, I'd seriously consider becoming a paid subscriber, because you do offer a lot of good music (other than the smut you cycle on the radio stations...)

It's been about two months since I added my voice to this thread. Sad to see that Spotify continues to ignore the growing complaint. I also Tweeted @Spotify and @SpotifyCares, with no response.

I guess it's back to Google Music -- which has provided filtering of songs with explicit lyrics since that product's release.

Done, and now after 3 years and 85 pages of comments from people screaming for this, it is still in status "Under Consideration". Really? Someone clearly doesn't care about their customers.

We just purchased a one membership to Slacker Radio which has the feature. Testing it out for my son.

That's one month membership.

Slacker is awesome!

@SpotifyCares replied to my tweet, with the following comment:

"Thanks for the feedback. Add your Kudos here: spoti.fi/192pJ2Z. Hopefully we'll see it happen soon".

I don't want to remove explicit songs altogether, as I love a lot of music that has profanity, while I hate the profanity itself. Simply bleeping out the cusswords would be better. 

Hi, Do you know if you can you play slacker through Sonos?

I agree. At the gym, bring it all on. But at work, I need to be able to skip the explicit stuff and not have to worry about it. 

Why doesn't Spotify have an option to filter out Explicit songs?  

I put my vote for this feature - seems bizarre to me that it isn't already implemeted or seemingly have any priority withing Spotify !

Seriously??? I switched over from Pandora but will be switching back if you guys don't add a setting to disable explicit content. I play music around my little siblings and don't want to have to worry about language that they don't need to be hearing.

Why is this listed as a solution? It is not.

I want to be able to let me daughter discover new music on her own, but would love to just check a box on her device for "filter explicit content". Why is this so hard?

Cancelled my account, sure iTunes new streaming service will support filtering out explicit lyrics

I'll be cancelling my Premium sub as well. After two months, enough is enough. If you can SHOW the explicit tag beside the song, there is no reason why it cannot be filtered out.

After 2 years, I'll be sad to leave spotify. But in 5 days the account gets cancelled. #1 reason: lack of explicit filter. I have enjoyed all of the features, family plans, connectivity to other other apps of Spotify -- I can't believe it is coming down to this. I registered for iTunes Match the day it launched, but have not used it since I found spotify.

I'm no Apple fanboy, but I cannot stick with having to manually create every playlist with spotify with 4 children in my house.

Completely agree. Makes no sense and completely limits the product - can't play popular playlists at home with my toddlers or at work. The chart and viral lists are full N***** this and N****** that and there is no way to turn them off.

This is the simplest feature to enable and is very very overdue.

David

Not going to be renewing my subs. This explicit fetting is a simple add, but i cant stand going through the discovery part and getting songs that just go insane with the profanity

Suggested posts