Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable Explicit Songs?

Solved!

Disable Explicit Songs?

Is it possible to tell spotify not to play any songs with explicit lyrics?  I like to play random playlists or spotify's top lists sometimes but don't like songs with explicit lyrics. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

587 Replies

I have cancelled my subscription.  Spotify claims they cannot censor music and they accommodate the musicians, but they don't do anything for their paying subscribers.

I let 6 months to spotify to add the option to disable explicit songs on their iOS et desktop app. On january 2016, i'll have to add 3 childrens on my family account.

If not my family membership will meet a new friend : apple music...

As a teacher that likes to play music in the background while High school kids are working on projects, I know they've heard it all, but can't play explicit stuff in the classroom. I uses to use Slacked which had a filter option, but unreliable service. Spotify works great, but no filter option. Looks like I'm moving to Pandora to my kids' advice. Seems like everyone but Spotify gives you the option.

I'm tired of waiting for an explicit filter Spotify.  Bye bye.

Just saw that my 13 year old son was listening to "Female Orgasm Sex Voice, Vol. 2" -- seriously. Why is this even a thing? Why is it on Spotify? And if it is, why on earth does this service not offer an Explicit filter? Maybe Spotify's "idea" user is a mid 20's male, but guess what? There are other kinds of people -- young and old -- who like to listen to music.

I'm looking at Apple Music to see if they offer this wonderful title. If not, I'll be moving my account over there... 

Come on Spotify offering a filter for this isn't censorship it's a choice!! I personally will listen to darn near anything, but when at work it'd be the best to filter out songs already tagged "Explicit"

Ben63vw has it spot on. I will be moving away from spotify to apple music in September if you don't release some update to allow this. We COULD skip every explicit song manually or you could do us a favour as a paying customer and add this as a software feature. You have 2 months before I go.

I've just cancelled my subscription. Spotify doesn't seem to care about allowing an explicit music filter, so I'll go somewhere else for music.

I cancelled my subscription.  😠

I'm gone too. I've been waiting over 2 years for this to be resolved and, despite many, many comments supporting this feature, Spotify have ignored it. My subscription has expired and I'm off to Apple music.

Apple Music doesn't have this feature either.

At least with iTunes you can make smart playlists, but it's quite difficult to filter based on 'Explicit', it's not a searchable term so you have to manually enter as a comment.

Wish Spotify would sort this.

Indeed Apple music doesn't have any options for this, it is part of iOS restrictions.

Not true. 
I have explicit lyrics turned off in preferences and on my kids' phones and it works fine. It plays clean versions of available and blocks those that don't have them. 

How do you do set it up? I've been through all of the screens in the app and online and I don't see any way to enable explicit filtering.

I have never used the app on a cell phone, but there is no filter on the
desktop app.

I just tried it and can confirm this works. 

on your iDevice open Settings > General > Restrictions.

If you have Restrictions enabled, it asks for your Restrictions Password. If not, you can create a separate password for Restrictions when they are enabled -- make sure this is a different password from the one you use on your lock screen or your kids/users can circumvent your efforts.

Scroll down to Allowed Content. Touch Music, Podcasts & iTunes U. In this screen, turn [EXPLICIT] off. 

If Apple Music is running, kill the app.

Start Apple Music. Search for "this summers gonna hurt" and you'll see that all of the [E] versions are now gone or grayed out.

Go Apple! Bye bye Spotify

Some Options:

Services and filtering features:

Google Play - Supports filtering even on your own playlists

Pandora.com - Supports filtering but does not have playlist feature. Only radio

Apple Music - Supports filtering

Rdio.com - No filtering but does label some songs as explicit or clean. They have talked about implementing filtering in future.

Spotify - No filtering but does label some songs as explicit or edited. Have activly blocked 3rd party free plug-ins that filter. 😦 OUCH!

Just cancelled our family plan because of the lack of this feature, clicking on 'pop radio' and having it play a song with two '**bleep**ings' to my 5 year old is not really ok.

Google play music it is, 

The irony, it appears the web forum won't tolerate words which my 5 year old should

Suggested posts