Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable auto-update? Choose where Spotify installs? This is frustrating.

Solved!

Disable auto-update? Choose where Spotify installs? This is frustrating.

I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Social-Off-Topic/Disable-auto-update-Choose-where-Spotify-installs-...) and I don't see any way to move or close that thread, so sorry about this being posted twice.

---

Hello,

I've been looking through the settings of the Spotify application (running on Windows 7) and I cannot find any option to disable auto-update.

Because of the way the Spotify installer was created, I cannot choose where it installs to; it just installs into AppData/Roaming (despite me not wanting it in there to begin with). The problem is on my work laptop: Spotify will not run from that folder and the only error message it gives regarding that is useless: error 17. I have to manually move the Spotify folder out of AppData/Roaming for it to even run (moving it also doesn't affect Spotify, making it even more bewildering why I'm forced to have it install there as it isn't accomplishing anything). I'm aware of a separate "full installer" than Spotify made, but that also doesn't work and gives an equally useless error message (I believe that one is error 35, but I can't exactly remember what number it spat out).

Now, whenever Spotify auto-updates itself, it automatically reinstalls itself back into AppData/Roaming instead of the folder location I had moved it to and launched it from, thus breaking Spotify again and making me need to move it again (and delete the old Spotify installation). This also resets all of my settings.

Suffice it to say, this is very frustrating. These updates aren't benefiting me in any way shape or form and I don't need or want them; all they're doing is making it more difficult for me to use Spotify.

Is there any way to disable these updates? Or a way for me to choose where Spotify is installing to and have it actually remember that when it updates and reinstalls itself?

I like Spotify, but this is making it difficult to want to continue paying for premium when I have to deal with this constantly. I feel like Spotify is just assuming I'm incredibly stupid and need my hand held through something as trivially simple as choosing where an application installs to so as to prevent me from breaking it, which is ironically exactly what is breaking it.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This thread can be closed/deleted.

I spoke with a support rep after I found out that there is an online chat feature and was told these features do not exist and that I'll have to hack in a solution myself. And I'm not joking on that point; I was directed to this: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Horrible-update-0-8-8/m-p/280204/highlight/true#M23776 ... really don't care how simple the fix is; I shouldn't need to fix Spotify's mistakes for them while I'm also paying them a monthly fee.

In addition, I was also told that the suggestion would be passed on, which is transparently a way of saying this won't be fixed without bluntly admitting as such. (This problem has existed ever since I first started using Spotify 3 months ago. If this was going to be fixed, it already would have been.)

So given that Spotify doesn't want to fix this and expects me to do it myself, I've cancelled my premium subscription and won't be using Spotify ever again.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

This thread can be closed/deleted.

I spoke with a support rep after I found out that there is an online chat feature and was told these features do not exist and that I'll have to hack in a solution myself. And I'm not joking on that point; I was directed to this: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Horrible-update-0-8-8/m-p/280204/highlight/true#M23776 ... really don't care how simple the fix is; I shouldn't need to fix Spotify's mistakes for them while I'm also paying them a monthly fee.

In addition, I was also told that the suggestion would be passed on, which is transparently a way of saying this won't be fixed without bluntly admitting as such. (This problem has existed ever since I first started using Spotify 3 months ago. If this was going to be fixed, it already would have been.)

So given that Spotify doesn't want to fix this and expects me to do it myself, I've cancelled my premium subscription and won't be using Spotify ever again.

Suggested posts